Gfci
I’m remodeling the upstairs bath. We have no GFCI anywhere in our house. So I’m putting some in with this bathroom remodel. The two outlets by the sink are in series. Do I need a gfci outlet at both or just the first in the series?  Also there is an outlet on the other counter opposite the vanity. No sinks on it. Should I put one there as well?

Thanks

Robert
(09-06-2021, 05:28 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I’m remodeling the upstairs bath. We have no GFCI anywhere in our house. So I’m putting some in with this bathroom remodel. The two outlets by the sink are in series. Do I need a gfci outlet at both or just the first in the series?  Also there is an outlet on the other counter opposite the vanity. No sinks on it. Should I put one there as well?

Thanks

Robert

Just the first of the two by the sink.   Make sure when the first one trips it kills the second one also.   Yes on any outlet in the bathroom.  Roly
(09-06-2021, 05:34 PM)Roly Wrote:    Just the first of the two by the sink.   Make sure when the first one trips it kills the second one also.   Yes on any outlet in the bathroom.  Roly

Thanks Roly
Input mains to line side, second outlet leads to load side. You’ll get labels to put on outlets served by the gfci.
VH07V  
Find the receptacle that's first in line, assuming they're all on the same circuit.  Put the GFCI receptacle there, with power to the "LINE" terminals on the receptacle, and wire the remaining two leads to the "LOAD" terminals on the GFCI.  That way it will protect itself, and everything wired downstream from it.

If there are more than two cables into that box, join the additional one(s) and pigtail that group to the "LINE" side, assuming you don't want whatever else that is on it to shut off on a GFCI trip, like an overhead light.  Depending on the age of the house, those receptacles may be wired to the lights, or to another bathroom receptacle(s), or even to outside receptacles.

And if that circuit also serves another bathroom, I would wire it such that the other bathroom receptacle is unprotected, and use a GFCI receptacle in the second bathroom. It's real annoying to trip one in one room, usually by accidentally pushing the test button, and having another room shut off.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"