Emmert K2 Pattern Makers Vise
(09-28-2021, 10:53 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Not sure what the reference (above) to "iron worker's" vises is all about (these are patternmaker's vises).

To set the record straight, Emmerts were made at least at recently as 1950.

The two "posts" on one side of the vise shown was apparently used for making iron scrolls, etc. I was not aware that they were made that late and I am curious what link you have that would confirm that.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-28-2021, 11:30 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .....................
The two "posts" on one side of the vise shown was apparently used for making iron scrolls, etc.  I was not aware that they were made that late and I am curious what link you have that would confirm that.

Just to be clear, are we still talking about the OP's model K2?

If so, by "posts" are you referring to the dogs?

More K2 images HERE, about a third of the way down the page.

On this page is an advert from Kindt-Collins, circa 1950:

http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/ads_and_patents.htm

Some of the adverts on this page apparently date to the 196x's
(09-28-2021, 12:47 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Just to be clear, are we still talking about the OP's model K2?

No...I was referring to this Emmert...........

[Image: 8277-ED86-990-F-437-D-84-B4-E040279533-E2-4-5005-c.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-28-2021, 12:47 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Just to be clear, are we still talking about the OP's model K2?

This is like the Emmert I have on my bench now......

[Image: 6402-BAC3-81-FC-4-AAC-9068-817-C8-C514-D69-4-5005-c.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-28-2021, 01:12 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................
No...I was referring to this Emmert...........

[Image: 8277-ED86-990-F-437-D-84-B4-E040279533-E2-4-5005-c.jpg]

I did not notice that the discussion had turned to machinist's vises, though I realize that now.

Nevertheless, I believe my point is still valid: is that not your vise (with the tri-lobal) jaw in the lower left of the 1950 ad for which I supplied a link?
(09-28-2021, 01:42 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: I did not notice that the discussion had turned to machinist's vises, though I realize that now.

Nevertheless, I believe my point is still valid: is that not your vise (with the tri-lobal) jaw in the lower left of the 1950 ad for which I supplied a link?

Still not sure which ad you are referring to, but the photos I copied and posted are the ones I meant..I sold the metal worker Emmert but still have the patternmakers vise on my bench. It is like the one shown in another photo I posted.

Many of the photos we see are very poor...too dark and out of focus {for my eyes anyway}

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-28-2021, 03:45 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .......................
Still not sure which ad you are referring to ...

THE ad for which I provided a link in my post

Anyway, here's the ad, from 1950 -- the vise is in the lower left

[Image: qthZJjL.gif]
(09-28-2021, 05:22 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: THE ad for which I provided a link in my post

Anyway, here's the ad, from 1950 -- the vise is in the lower left

[Image: qthZJjL.gif]

That looks like the one I had...the jaws were about 3"...all I had was the vise itself...no attachments. I bought it at a local flea market and the seller carried it to my truck for me...Had it for several years then sold it at the MWTCA annual tool meet in Madison Ga...Sold the Sheldon there the following year. It needed work. Nowhere near as good a vise as the Emmert..I traded a Royal Enfield .22cal BB gun for the Emmert K-2 on my bench, but the Rifle was top notch.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

The Kindt-Collins version of the Emmert's K1 vise was/is and upgraded clone of the Emmert. Based on one of the links above in this thread, it appears that it may still be available as a custom order.

Based on their description, the K-C patternmaker's vise is a heavier, beefier version of the Emmert's.

Also, there ma be some jargon issues. The "Iron Hand" is the description some people used for the Emmert's (and, possibly, functionally similar patternmaker's vises). The Emmert's company also made a toolmaker's/metal-worker's vise pictured by T-Wolf above. I expect that the "Iron Worker's Vise" was to the toolmaker's/metal-worker's vise.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.