nail removal
    Trying to disassemble this chair and this piece. I've used every tool in my arsenal (within reason of course) and can't get a grip to remove this nail and want to keep wood damage to a minimum.  Recommendations are appreciated. 

Thanks,
Jim
Jim
If vise grip won't hold just pull out the part it's nailed to and then pull nail from hole, or just set it & leave it if your not wanting to take it apart. Probably not much help but it's all I got.
Good Luck
Can you push it out from the other side?  Drill a small hole and use a long thing punch to drive it out enough to grab onto? Or grind the point off of a nail and use that.  Or push it out from the exposed side.  In either case you would have to drill the opposite side and that will take some calculation and educated guesswork.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've got one of these, works great!

Hollow tube with teeth, cuts hole with screw/nail in the middle.  Easily repaired with small dowel or plug.
Cool

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1480835267]
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Can you use a small punch to drive it thru? May not work if the nail is bent

Stick your dykes/side cutters in there, grasp, and pull it out.
Don't squeeze so hard you cut if off.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-07-2021, 07:44 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Stick your dykes/side cutters in there, grasp, and pull it out.
Don't squeeze so hard you cut if off.

Yes. Once you get a hold on it with the tip of your side cutters, use a prying action to lift it out far enough to get a better hold with pliers or vice grip.
I finally got it using a couple different tools and techniques. Thanks for all the help & suggestions.

Jim
Jim
(10-08-2021, 08:19 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I finally got it using a couple different tools and techniques. Thanks for all the help & suggestions.

Jim

Care to share the tools and techniques that were successful? Inquiring minds want to know!

Doug
(10-13-2021, 10:44 PM)Tapper Wrote: Care to share the tools and techniques that were successful? Inquiring minds want to know!

Doug

I had to bite the bullet, removed a little more wood and then use vise grips. Fortunately the nail wasn't very long.

Jim
Jim