Sargent VBM Did I make a mistake?
Stopped in at an antique store "mall" yesterday and was perusing the tools and ogling the old bottles. Ran across an old Sargent VBM. Not overly familiar with their nomenclature, it was jack sized with what looked like a narrow iron, compared to the 2" that comes on the Stanley #5s. Looking at one site, it looks like it might be a 411. It needed work, but was basically sound. Surface rust, perhaps a little medium pitting on the sole. Tote was missing most of the horn, and not sure the front hold down screw was the correct thread. Iron was nearing the end of it's life, but likely has enough left for many years of light use. I probably have a Stanley number 3 iron lounging around somewhere in the shop, assuming that the irons are interchangeable and not something strange.

My immediate thought was to turn this into a scrub plane. I have a #4 set up with a radiused iron that I use for a scrub. This looks like a better candidate due to being #5  in size and having a narrow iron. Don't really want to get into another converted scrub plane debate, but that is what I was thinking for this plane. I only have two #5s, and haven't run across a good deal on a good user. Should I have taken this thing home?

Oh, the price as $29. Dickering is very difficult at this shop. They have to contact the actual seller, and then get back. It's not worth the hassle for $5 to $10. This booth in the place seems to be the only one with somewhat reasonable prices on old tools anyway.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
"VBM" is Sargent-speak for Very Best Made.    The #411 was made to compete with the Stanley # 5-1/4 Junior Jack plane.....sole should be about 11" long.   I have both a Stanley version and a Millers Falls version.....neither will be set up as scrubs ( have a Corsair C-5 Jack)....and I USE the M-F No. 11 a LOT....lighter than a jack, more nimble due to being 3" shorter.   barely relieved the corners of the irons, more of a LONG #3 smoother.   That can also joint shorter pieces of stock ( think drawers..)

I would be tempted to go back and offer $20 for it, simply because they seemed to be a bit "rare". 

The Junior Jack size was made for use in the school's trade classes....to teach kids HOW to use a plane.   After a while of "abuse" by said kids. Stanley started to supply totes made of metal....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have a Sargent VBM, same size as a Stanley #4. Personally, I like the VBM better than my Stanley #4. Much heavier (thicker) casting. It's at least as good a user as the Stanley. The Stanley might have a more refined knob and tote and brass where the VBM would be steel but as far as a user plane goes, every bit as good as the Stanley. Worth every penny of $29,00 assuming there's life left in the iron and it isn't too beat up.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-11-2021, 09:49 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I have a Sargent VBM, same size as a Stanley #4. Personally, I like the VBM better than my Stanley #4. Much heavier (thicker) casting. It's at least as good a user as the Stanley. The Stanley might have a more refined knob and tote and brass where the VBM would be steel but as far as a user plane goes, every bit as good as the Stanley. Worth every penny of $29,00 assuming there's life left in the iron and it isn't too beat up.

I remember a number of years ago, some guys were welding tool steel on worn vintage plane irons and hardening them and one was welding HSS on his...I see no good reason NOT to do it, if the plane is worth it...Maybe even make a completely new iron out of 01 tool steel.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset