Looking at a DJ-20
What do you guys think a fair price is for a DJ-20? One for sale popped up near here.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Just sold one here for $900.00.
VH07V  
I looked all over for decent information; information is spotty at best and most of it is really old.

$900 is probably a good price out in Hawaii.  On the continent, I would think $700-$800 is a better number for a machine in decent shape.  The inflation rate and supply chain issues of late have pushed new machine pricing way up.  I don't know how that plays with the "50% of new" rule of thumb.  I think that the "rising tide lifts all boats", but I think 50% of new for large machines pushes the used market into unreal prices. 

As for my deal, I'm paying a total of $2200 for all three machines.  The split I offered was $600 each for the jointer and planer, $1000 for the drum sander since it is only a few years old with little use on it.  Only the sander  meets the "50% of new" benchmark.  I'll admit he gave me the "friends and family" rate.

As to the planer, I'll put it into use right away, but will be planning to add a shelix head upgrade.
There's one for sale here for $1100 in good shape. Since it's still up a day later, maybe it's actually too high.
(11-06-2021, 08:12 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: There's one for sale here for $1100 in good shape. Since it's still up a day later, maybe it's actually too high.

I haven't looked at Grizzly's website to see availability of new jointers in the DJ-20 class.  All the seller needs is somebody who doesn't want to wait several months if it's out of stock.  Then there's the shelix head upgrade and whether or not seller has accounted for that when comparing new jointers to used jointers.

When I looked at the web sites, it seemed like shelix head jointers and planers are beginning to outnumber straight knife machines.  There's no way a used straight knife machine is worth 50% of new cost for the shelix head machines out there.  That's my opinion anyway.

I'll be putting my Delta 37-220 up for sale to offset a bit of the cost.  I'll start at an optimistic price and then come down if necessary.  It's old iron; built 1958 in Tupelo MS.  Runs great.  I need to get it off the mobile stand since I plan to reuse those caster brackets as the basis for the mobile base for the DJ-20.
They have an 8" with helical head on sale right now for $2k. I don't think the bed is as long as the DJ-20 though. Then I'd have to add freight or a two day road trip.

The selection of used 8" has dried up around here for sure, but I still think the price is a bit high. My 6" jointer is still working, so I can afford to wait for more normal times.

I don't think I consider a helical head a must, but I'd probably go for one if I was buying new.