So I Decided to Build a Bed: COMPLETED !!!
Post and rail joinery is complete: on to the headboard assembly.

[Image: IMG-3178.jpg]" />
Fairing the curve on the top of the headboard:

[Image: IMG-3184-1.jpg]" />
Establishing the right taper for the legs:

[Image: IMG-3187.jpg]" />

Getting clos(er) to actually gluing two parts together on this multi-year project:

[Image: IMG-3188.jpg]" />
I would almost sleep without a pillow to be able to see that grain all the time !

Nice project !
Chris
(01-16-2022, 11:04 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: I would almost sleep without a pillow to be able to see that grain all the time !

Nice project !

Thanks: it should look significantly better once its been finished (in the not too distant future I hope).
I put a little ***** bead on my headboard that looks a lot like that. I think ***** beads delineate curves like that, but also protect the short and exposed end grain. It’s an old fashioned feature, but a good one.

I’d also think about stopped chamfers on the legs. And what did you do on the tops of the legs? Or what’s the plan?
(01-17-2022, 08:34 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: I put a little ***** bead on my headboard that looks a lot like that. I think ***** beads delineate curves like that, but also protect the short and exposed end grain. It’s an old fashioned feature, but a good one.

I’d also think about stopped chamfers on the legs.  And what did you do on the tops of the legs? Or what’s the plan?

I had intended to  round over the edges of the panel in the same way I rounded over the long dimensions of the post (photo). I had not considered a bead, but I am glad you suggested that: I will make some sort of mockup to see how it looks.
As far as the tops of the posts, I planned on doing a simple chamfer (photo): I think its consistent with the Shaker style. It may be too late. for the stopped chamfer on the legs as I already did the round over: I have never done one of those but I will have to try my hand at that so it can be incorporated in the next project.

For some folks (possibly many?) Shaker may seem too simple in form. I rarely add embellishments other than slightly breaking edges on legs and table tops, although I do incorporate bevels on the underside of the table tops I have built. I recently started adding slight curves to the table tops and drawer fronts: those are not, strictly speaking, Shaker elements, but I think they compliment the Shaker style. I will also throw in small ebony accents here or there as I think ebony looks spectacular with cherry, in limited doses. I think it may be Christian Becksvoort that said the beauty of Shaker furniture is in its simplicity: I could not agree more.

Thanks much for the suggestions: I feel honored to get a professionals opinion on my work!

(01-17-2022, 12:30 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I had intended to  round over the edges of the panel in the same way I rounded over the long dimensions of the post (photo). I had not considered a bead, but I am glad you suggested that: I will make some sort of mockup to see how it looks.
As far as the tops of the posts, I planned on doing a simple chamfer (photo): I think its consistent with the Shaker style. It may be too late. for the stopped chamfer on the legs as I already did the round over: I have never done one of those but I will have to try my hand at that so it can be incorporated in the next project.

For some folks (possibly many?) Shaker may seem too simple in form. I rarely add embellishments other than slightly breaking edges on legs and table tops, although I do incorporate bevels on the underside of the table tops I have built. I recently started adding slight curves to the table tops and drawer fronts: those are not, strictly speaking, Shaker elements, but I think they compliment the Shaker style. I will also throw in small ebony accents here or there as I think ebony looks spectacular with cherry, in limited doses. I think it may be Christian Becksvoort that said the beauty of Shaker furniture is in its simplicity: I could not agree more.

Thanks much for the suggestions: I feel honored to get a professionals opinion on my work!

This is a Shaker bed:
https://www.philamuseum.org/collection/object/184979

Fun fact: Shakers were celibate, so no double beds!

Couple things I see: In general, real Shaker pieces have a lot more curves, details etc than people seem to think when they think about Shaker. Look at the curved pieces at the ends of the frame rails. The legs are obviously turned but they are not cylinders or smooth tapers, if you notice. I'd suggest maybe a finial to top your head legs. Could be a smooth skinny egg shape like those sometimes on the tops of shaker chairs. Some of the unique features of this bed are its long legs which allowed storage under the bed. This gives the bed a funky look to it. I did something similar with my bed. Proportions are so important. The casters were to allow the bed to be easily moved for cleaning. Pretty unique.

Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents.

Adam
(01-17-2022, 11:29 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: This is a Shaker bed:
https://www.philamuseum.org/collection/object/184979

Fun fact: Shakers were celibate, so no double beds!

Couple things I see: In general, real Shaker pieces have a lot more curves, details etc than people seem to think when they think about Shaker. Look at the curved pieces at the ends of the frame rails.  The legs are obviously turned but they are not cylinders or smooth tapers, if you notice.  I'd suggest maybe a finial to top your head legs. Could be a smooth skinny egg shape like those sometimes on the tops of shaker chairs. Some of the unique features of this bed are its long legs which allowed storage under the bed. This gives the bed a funky look to it.  I did something similar with my bed. Proportions are so important. The casters were to allow the bed to be easily moved for cleaning. Pretty unique.

Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents.

Adam

Adam: Constructive input, particularly from an expert, is always welcome!  Phil
“ Fun fact: Shakers were celibate, so no double beds!”

Well, I agree it’s a fact, but I wouldn’t call it a “fun fact” ?
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof