Flinging horse poop
I've got sandy, high acid soil. Calling it soil is generous. I put down a 3" layer of leaf grow (composted leaves) last fall and planted grass. We had the best looking lawn on the block... till about June this year... the compost gave up the ghost and the weeds took right over. Even when the lawn looked good, I could pull it right out because it wouldn't root into the sand. After a lot of reading about my soil condition, I need to bring in about 3 inches of soil and till it in a couple inches and another 3 inches of topsoil above that. Then plant and apply lime several times a year.

Some soil just won't grow grass.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Also... something you might try is Love Your Soil. It builds your soil organically. I tried it on my lawn and it helped but it really needs an existing topsoil (not sand) to work. A friend has a lawn care company and he swears by it. 2 applications, once in the spring and again in the fall. It isn't fertilizer so there's no instant gratification but you should see a difference the 2nd year. Apply it with a spreader the day before a rain or water it in. Read the reviews. People swear by it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay