Anyone familiar with the Jim Bode website?
Hi all,

I just have a quick question about selling tools to Jim Bode’s website.

I’ve never sold anything to him, but I have bought one or two things there. The service was great and my items came as advertised in a timely manner.

I wanted to ask about his buying prices. Has anyone sold anything to him and followed up on their item’s listing on the site? I’m trying to get an idea about what percentage of a tool’s market value he pays out.

Thanks!
I think most of Bode's prices are inflated, so maybe his markup is higher than you may think. You could offer to sell something to him, and then compare his offer to buy against similar items on the website. Or you could sell the item here on WN and get retail instead of wholesale for your item.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
OP, if you have some discussions with Jim Bode, could you share the result here?  When I sell my tools, I'll do it as a collection to a single buyer and will probably avoid the hassle, risk, and costs of shipping.  Bode seems to do  alot of this.  There are probably others who do the same thing.
(11-11-2021, 08:48 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: OP, if you have some discussions with Jim Bode, could you share the result here?  When I sell my tools, I'll do it as a collection to a single buyer and will probably avoid the hassle, risk, and costs of shipping.  Bode seems to do  alot of this.  There are probably others who do the same thing.

Jim buys rare tools in good condition...A friend a number of years ago sold him a rare plane {flea market find}..Later Jim listed it for about a 45% markup...I have never sold him anything but have tried to buy something at his table and he would not budge off his price.
EDIT...
I can say the same about the late Tony Murland when he would come to the tool meets...Like Bode, in all fairness, they both have huge expenses to meet.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I sold a BUNCH of tools to Jim a few years ago at a tool meet. He spent about $800 and paid my asking prices without even trying to haggle. He pays very fair prices for being a dealer. If I wanted to liquidate all of my hand tools at once, he is the first one I would call.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(11-11-2021, 04:44 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........................
Jim buys rare tools in good condition...A friend a number of years ago sold him a rare plane {flea market find}..Later Jim listed it for about a 45% markup...I have never sold him anything but have tried to buy something at his table and he would not budge off his price.
EDIT...
I can say the same about  the late Tony Murland when he would come to the tool meets...Like Bode, in all fairness, they both have huge expenses to meet.

When did Tony Murland pass away Jack? I had met him several times through the years, was a decent guy.

For selling complete collections, try Patrick Leach.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(11-12-2021, 05:25 AM)Tony Z Wrote: When did Tony Murland pass away Jack?  I had met him several times through the years, was a decent guy.

IIRC he passed last year, Tony...I believe it was in the MWTCA newsletter. I will have to google it.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-12-2021, 05:25 AM)Tony Z Wrote: When did Tony Murland pass away Jack?  I had met him several times through the years, was a decent guy.

I found this tribute to him Tony..He had a rare fatal disease......
Sad

https://www.antiquetools.co.uk/antique-t...y-murland/

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-12-2021, 04:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ........................
I found this tribute to him Tony..He had a rare fatal disease......
Sad

https://www.antiquetools.co.uk/antique-t...y-murland/

Thanks Jack. I met and spoke to Tony many times through the years, when he would travel across “the pond” for various tool sales/gatherings. I guess it is one of the results of covid suspending activities, that we lose track of others.

T
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(11-14-2021, 06:33 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks Jack.  I met and spoke to Tony many times through the years, when he would travel across “the pond” for various tool sales/gatherings.  I guess it is one of the results of covid suspending activities, that we lose track of others.

T

Same here, Tony..He frequently came to our tool meet in Madison, Georgia along with his two daughters..He was a great guy and we miss him....
Sad
Sad
Sad

Get off my lawn !
Upset