Lonnie Bird's Secretary
I started on mine in Feb. 2012, just getting to the upper case, nearing completion. Providing other things don't pop up with a higher priority. My question is when attaching the back on the case. What have you done to secure the panels and still room for the wood to contract and expand? I'm thinking elongated holes with sheet metal self tapping screws.

Any better ideas? I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks
Jim

PS At this rate it'll be an antique by the time I get done. 
Big Grin
Jim
Jim, on my upper case,  I just used plywood for the back  ( I think, I started around the same time as you and finished it a few years later ).  If you are going to use solid wood, then you can use separate boards and tongue and groove them.   Elongated holes would also work.
(12-24-2021, 04:33 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Jim, on my upper case,  I just used plywood for the back  ( I think, I started around the same time as you and finished it a few years later ).  If you are going to use solid wood, then you can use separate boards and tongue and groove them.   Elongated holes would also work.
I've already made the boards with beads, I want to get the doors & moldings on before I close up the back. I've been busy with refurbishing a couple pieces of furniture and have to get started on a large display case for a lady to showcase her mother's china and have another lady that wants me to work on a 100+ yo cedar chest. I know I'm retired but I have to restock my wood shed. Woodworking is a habit that needs to supported.
Jim
I'me sure I saw someone put a bead board back on a similar cabinet just using brads...one in the center of each board. You could leave a small aount of wiggle room between the boards. A 4" wide board isn'tgoing to move that much anyway. As i think about the brads...it almost had to be one of Norm's projects.
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Jim,
Floating tongue and groove has served me well on the few pieces I've built that required backs but you've already beaded the boards. Splined joints maybe?

At any rate, hang in there. Completing it as an antique is secondary to the satisfaction of completing an awesome project.

Take care, Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
What type of panel? If it is tongue and groove boards, just leave a little space to allow for movement. If the pieces are not too wide, you can get away with one screw per board per side.
If it is a frame and panel back, I would not worry about movement.

I normally use small slotted brass screws to install the back panels regardless of type of panel.
Have you cosidered frame and panel? Works for me.

[Image: 48211100816_9ec3614a23_k.jpg]IMG_4469 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 48211110751_219e342990_k.jpg]IMG_4477 by Hank Knight, on Flickr
I guess I'll go with elongated holes with sheet metal self tapping screws. Thanks everyone for your suggestions & encouragement

Jim
Jim
Come on. Do it the old fashioned way. Just nail some boards to the back. I think the nails usually give seasonally. Do it the old way and have a story to tell.
(01-04-2022, 09:37 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Come on. Do it the old fashioned way. Just nail some boards to the back. I think the nails usually give seasonally. Do it the old way and have a story to tell.

That's entered my exclusive mind also. 
Big Grin
Jim