Barn wood pictures for ID
Barn built at least 250 years ago. It’s  being dismantled in north east michigan location is 2 miles from Lake Huron. I’m looking to get some help IDing it . If you need more pictures let me know and Ill do my best to get some, thank you.

Attached Files Image(s)

You previous posts had me say white oak based on end grain. 

But with the better face photos, its Chestnut.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I had previously said white oak as well, but the end grain in these pictures looks different. Is this a different board, or just a different picture of the same board?

Tyler
These pictures are from the layer underneath my previous post of the 2 in planks. These were 5/4 (planed to 1 in excuse the planning its -10 windshield) but for whatever reason they had two layers of flooring probably bc the barn was used for hay… they’d walk the horses pulling wagons into the barn.
(02-13-2022, 06:53 PM)Jax1290 Wrote: These pictures are from the layer underneath my previous post of the 2 in planks. These were 5/4 (planed to 1 in excuse the planning its -10 windshield) but for whatever reason they had two layers of flooring probably bc the barn was used for hay… they’d walk the horses pulling wagons into the barn.

On this sample the face grain makes me think something like elm, but the sapwood and end grain contrasts aren't what I remember.  Likely some locally cut hardwood of opportunity.
My vote is white oak or chestnut.
What year was the barn built? Chestnut wasn't originally native to Michigan. Looks like white oak to me.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-24-2022, 08:31 AM)AHill Wrote: What year was the barn built?  Chestnut wasn't originally native to Michigan.  Looks like white oak to me.

Generally speaking , yes.

But SE Michigan would certainly have had access to it. 

https://acf.org/the-american-chestnut/native-range-map/

Kinda far to think lumber made it all the way across the state.
(03-06-2022, 10:45 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Generally speaking , yes.

But SE Michigan would certainly have had access to it. 

https://acf.org/the-american-chestnut/native-range-map/

Kinda far to think lumber made it all the way across the state.

American elm was abundant and mostly absent from anything important (like furniture) back then.  Floor of my shed is 8/4 elm.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I call that look in the grain Feathered. That is what one of my wood suppliers said it was.
Only saw it in Ash.
This is the only one left and is not as pronounced as some.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.