Hi, beginner with some questions.
(04-06-2022, 02:52 PM)Leandre Wrote: planer is on the list. woods too expensive right now to really "have a go" so no rush. eyes on the dewlat DW735x. As is a track saw and nice router. i need to sell my butt for this hobby...
Not sure about the price difference now, many praises about the Ridgid planer which also comes life time warranty. I know at least two guys who are very happy with theirs. Check your HD store.

Simon
(04-06-2022, 03:29 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Not sure about the price difference now, many praises about the Ridgid planer which also comes life time warranty. I know at least two guys who are very happy with theirs. Check your HD store.

Simon

Oh thanks for this. I'll check it out.

Got myself a Wen track saw. i know its not even moderate in terms on quality but its cheap and i'll probably use it once a week.
also had one of them wireless plug with remote switch

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08S...UTF8&psc=1

Had it plugged into the dust collection and it was awesome. id put the switch next to the fence, turn on fan then turn on saw and it was fine until i needed the DC for soemthing else and the remote is still next to the fence. then id have to go retrieve it. after a while it got annoying. So ended up using the remote switch for the shop vac and getting one of these 

https://www.amazon.com/iVAC-10031-010-Au...B0035YGLZG

now its automatic on when saw turns on. its so pretty ...
(04-10-2022, 02:30 AM)Leandre Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/iVAC-10031-010-Au...B0035YGLZG

now its automatic on when saw turns on. its so pretty ...

That switch is the best in the market, supporting up to a max draw of 30amp. The list price is misleading though......everyone is selling it for $55 or so, not $91.

I see some people replace the filter that came with their shop vacs with a hepa substitute too.

Simon
Yeah, I got mine from rockler for $55 but with so many things to buy I haven't got the cash to spring for a proper hepa filter. What I've been doing is not even using the canvas bag thta came with the DC. Instead just have a 4" out feed hose out the garage door. I do have a Oneida dust deputy so that helps. I just don't want the canvas bag blowing dust back into the shop.

So today's adventure was routing a dado for a t-track for a stop block on the mitre station.
The bit was moving when I was trying it out. The lines were all crooked. Is this my fault? Or the tool? I mean it was a ryobi trim router or was it the bit? It was a HF bit for $10.. Turns out I was an person and tried to do the whole depth in one turn. Switch to a new piece of scrap and did the dado in 3 turns and was very smooth.

Leaning everyday. Such a fun hobby
Hi
I did this for mine. Used the plunge router, clamped boards to act like an edge guide, then made the cut in 3 passes.

[attachment=41570]
"The bit was moving when I was trying it out. The lines were all crooked. Is this my fault? Or the tool? "

Not sure if you know this yet or not but it is very important to route the right direction with regards to the spin of the bit.
One direction will tend to pull the router against a fence and the other pulls it away.
Maybe the router was going the wrong way?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(04-11-2022, 05:24 AM)KyleD Wrote: "The bit was moving when I was trying it out. The lines were all crooked. Is this my fault? Or the tool? "

Not sure if you know this yet or not but it is very important to route the right direction with regards to the spin of the bit.
One direction will tend to pull the router against a fence and the other pulls it away.
Maybe the router was going the wrong way?

Hi, thanks for the reply. yeah i know when using a router table you push right > left so i assumed it was left to right on a hand held. The initial cuts were right to left so i think that's what screwed it up i also think for it was me trying to take too much off at once. after i got a new scrap i did left to right and did it over 3 passes, it was much smoother. Ended up using two pieces of plywood to make a channel so the router didnt stray. added a bit of paste wax to the wood and the results were a nice glide and nice dado. 3/8 dado in a 1/2" plywood. had to add some wood under it to give it some support

track saw should come tomorrow so wednesday i build a cross cut sled.
So, after playing around with the router more. mostly edge stuff and a few dados and ive come to the conclusion that the ryobi trim router is a bag of poop. Ordered it from HD around jan, with no box or instructions i thought id have to sell it on FB market place and the wife say "just take it back" so i say i dont want to be that mayo women from costco.

*backstory, we once saw a large women returning a half eaten 1g tub of mayo to costco. no idea on the excuse but they took it back)

Sheepishly i went to HD to see if i could return it and holy crap they took it back. So ended up getting the DeWalt DWP611PK
https://www.rockler.com/dewalt-dwp611pk-compact-router
I doubt this one will disappoint. I have one and like it a lot. Nice machine and the built-in light is handy.

Good luck,

Doug
[attachment=41973 Wrote:Tapper pid='8073616' dateline='1650771186']I doubt this one will disappoint. I have one and like it a lot. Nice machine and the built-in light is handy.

Good luck,

Doug

yeah, its feels very well built im happy with this purchase.
also, first project half complete, super happy with it. still mistakes with it and its been a really good learning experience.