Krenov Style Apron Planes
(05-14-2022, 10:05 AM)jcousins2 Wrote: I just bought a small piece at macbeath hardwood in Berkeley- 31.07 a pound.
I love that place, they used to have a place in the South Bay but closed it down, it was nothing like the Berkeley store.

I got some of my favorite olive wood there, I still have some to make handles out of. It is one of my all time favorite woods to work.

Do they have ebony up there these days? I haven't been there, but there's a couple crooks I won't deal with in the South Bay, one sells green wood claiming it's dry, which isn't very nice, IMO.

McBeath has always been pretty fair. I have several different rosewoods and I had one really cool Bocote board, not very big but Steve Knight made a dovetail plane out of it for me. Inside in the room next to the register is where the cool stuff used to be, but back up on top in the warehouse/storage there's some nice walnut and other more common species.

Hope you got some cool wood, as you can tell I like that place!
Winkgrin

As soon as I get my shop built, I'm going shopping for at least some hardwoods to use on cabinets and such. I want a lot of extraordinary wood inside the home...I'll spend more in time than I will on wood, so I might as well build the best...
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
A bit of a funny update. I just sent notice to those who ordered planes from batch two when there planes will ship and the word ship gets edited to *****. Hopefully they know I wasn't using a naughty word LOL.

On another note ,just a confirmation that as of today only 18 more of these Gaboon Ebony apron planes will be built. Reason being that is all the Ebony cutoff stock I have on hand. If I had to order more wood I just couldn't make and sell these at such a fair price with the Hock blades. If your interested in one of these 18 please send me a note. All Ebony or Ebony body with Bubinga, Cocobolo, Rosewood or Curly Maple sides are options for the last 18.
I'm spending Sunday afternoon in the studio with some Hock blades and the Tormek T-8. A perfect day for sharpening, nice breeze coming through the windows and listening to good music.

For those of you that may be interested. I shipped out another box of the Ebony flats this afternoon. The box weighed in at 2 lb's, 8 oz. I'm sure these all average the same weight within a few ounces.
Even though I have a Tormek T8 I'm going to give the Scary Sharp System a try. All the blades in the photo have already been flattened & sharpened on the T8 so it will be interesting to see if Scary Sharp will produce even a better edge.

Hi Guys

Just a quick update on shipping out batch 2. I'm still running a bit behind due to my schedule at work. Once this week is over I'll be able to get back on track since I'll have more time to spend in my studio. Speaking of work, I found a couple cut offs that are actually Maple skateboard laminations. I'm thinking these may make some interesting looking planes, Ebony bodies with the laminated sides. Once I get back on schedule I think I'll make 4 of them and see if there is any interest in these.

Thanks for your patience with batch 2.

A quick update on batch two of the apron planes. Today was the first day I had a chance to spend time in the studio for awhile and I made some progress. The blades are all sharpened, wedges are shaped & fitted and I'm currently in the process of opening up the mouths to accept small shavings.

The side by side photo of the blade shows before sharping on left, after on right.

Well, I finally made it to the finish line with batch two. Now to wait a few days for finish to cure before final buffing and they'll be ready to ship out Saturday. This batch turned out great and really look fantastic! It's tough to tell from the photos but there is a plane in the group that has the Ebony body & Rosewood sides. This one has such a nice look to it in person.

Batch three will start soon. Two of the planes from this batch are reserved and the others will be put up for sale once they are done.

Riftsawn Bocote sides now available as well for batch three. $150.00 includes a 1" Hock Blade & USPS priority shipping to address in contiguous USA. Build time for batch three, eight planes total will be approximately 8 weeks.
Today is the day the planes get their blade & wedge back in place and take a shaving before being boxed up. Rather than do a group shot I'll post an individual photo of the plane and the name of the person it goes to. It may take a couple days to get through all.

First one up is for Ed S. Ed's plane has a Gaboon Ebony body, wedge pin and wedge with Curly Maple sides.

Thanks for you patience Ed!