Disston 3D Saw Vise
Let me start out by saying that this forum is a very bad influence on a weak soul like me. Why I did this I have no idea, and I kinda feel bad as I beat out another galoot who I don't know who he is, but most of his recent purchases were in Saws and Hand Planes...problem is I'm weak.

I already have 2 of these, but as many people know shipping is key and breakage is also key on these. They can be disassembled but it's not worth trying to explain to a vendor.

Here's the kicker, the shipping is like <cough> $31, so it's understandable how people would be put off, yet under the shipping it lists the FedEx Ground at $19.15. Quite honestly, FedEx ground is way better service. I have had them pick up heavy items, once from a trailer park, and bring it to my door step...I digress...

There are still buys on Ebay, you just need to watch for them. At least for me, I hope I don't see anymore at this price as I could buy it also...I'm a sucker for vintage/antique stuff.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

PS - if you're the galoot I beat out on this, if you really want it, we can work something out most likely, but I'd buy these for $40 to my door all day long. If anyone is looking to get rid of one of these 3D vises, maybe you want to get one of the new Grammercy vises, it's based on a non-Disston design, I can't remember which one. E.C. or Sterns, they're not bad and are smoother in operation...I had to go pull one of mine out to check if the one I bought had a crack or if it was a seam, and I thought, "self, this isn't so heavy...". The next thing I know I was paying the sniper game...ain't no better feeling that getting an old tool that you snipe some guy that nobody else is watching...condolences to Mr. seconds...
Rolleyes
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Grammercy version is based on the Wentworth design, and I'll tell you, its the absolute best vice out there, perhaps the best ever made. Very pricey, but I bought mine when they first came out after seeing one at the Valley Forge WIA in 2009 . . . . bought it to replace a 3D; it was still expensive then, but the price has exploded since then to about $250. I still have a 3D floating around in my shop somewhere.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-25-2022, 11:54 AM)Admiral Wrote: Grammercy version is based on the Wentworth design, and I'll tell you, its the absolute best vice out there, perhaps the best ever made.  Very pricey, but I bought mine when they first came out after seeing one at the Valley Forge WIA in 2009 . . . . bought it to replace a 3D; it was still expensive then, but the price has exploded since then to about $250.  I still have a 3D floating around in my shop somewhere.
Admiral,

Are you wanting to sell your 3D? I paid $20.50 + $19.15 shipping, as I said I'm a buyer for $40 all day long. If it's all intact and original I'll go $50 if you like. Let me know, they are kind of heavy and take up space. FedEx ground is cheapest, and they do disassemble so it might be possible to fit it in a USPS large flat rate or flat rate game box if the parts were packed with newspaper/bubble-wrap. Just thought I would mention that to you, it seems your happy with your Grammercy.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
I have and use a Wentworth No.1 Saw Vise....haven't had any complaints, yet.  

Once I had a proper sized 2x to mount it to, to hold in by bench vise..

Seems to work quite nicely....paid $10 a few years (2016) ago.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-25-2022, 11:24 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Admiral,

Are you wanting to sell your 3D? I paid $20.50 + $19.15 shipping, as I said I'm a buyer for $40 all day long. If it's all intact and original I'll go $50 if you like. Let me know, they are kind of heavy and take up space. FedEx ground is cheapest, and they do disassemble so it might be possible to fit it in a USPS large flat rate or flat rate game box if the parts were packed with newspaper/bubble-wrap. Just thought I would mention that to you, it seems your happy with your Grammercy.

I am happy with the Grammercy, never going back.  If I can find the Disston somewhere in the shop, I'll let you know.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-26-2022, 02:44 PM)bandit571 Wrote: I have and use a Wentworth No.1 Saw Vise....haven't had any complaints, yet.
I've seen them but never used one I don't think...I could have at a show not paying attention. I just have an idea with thin long wooden jaws using an insert brass as jaw insets and using magnets to create the tension could be a much better solution. Several ways we could enable/disable the magnets, either by shifting them together, levering them apart/together, modern mag-pole switches, etc...If designed properly it would have plenty of clearance for the width of the handle on each side and the jaw would clamp cleanly along the saw plate, easily allowing you to adjust it. It would just know how I wanted it and positioned itself that way...whoa, that's getting a bit carried away...LOL  

(04-26-2022, 03:49 PM)Admiral Wrote: I am happy with the Grammercy, never going back.  If I can find the Disston somewhere in the shop, I'll let you know.
Well, I appreciate it but if you do find it I will encourage you to offer it to someone else here. They're great vises and, IMO, the "creme de la creme" of vintage saw vises. I have 2 already and I just bought a 3rd, I mean seriously...I am more likely to build one of my own that does some of the stuff I'm talking about like using a modern magnetic setup, and really make something that easily attaches to modern thick benches, of can be held with holdfasts, or however but just secure the saw so you can sharpen it quickly and get on with the fun work, using it!
Smile

A wooden DIY vise is still an XLNT solution, cause it covers hand saws, and yes, you can move the saw, use supports for the saw, etc...it's just not as easy as having the entire length of the blade clamped, IMO, and it just breaks up my flow when I'm working. For that reason I setup 2 x 3D vises side by side to clamp a full size handsaw, which I only have a few of anyway...

I also have a Disston #2 I use on my desk, the clamp is slightly larger than the 3D. That little crappy c-clamp in the pic above is original for the 3D, so if you see that in the wild, don't think it's replaced, that wimpy c-clamp is original. My #2 has a bar that attaches to the rear of the saw, and mine was brazed at some point. The 3D has the 2 screw mounts for that and/or other attachments, but I don't have any on the ones I have I don't think. I only dug one out. I have several saw sets also, the old Disstons work well for me, and the newer gold/blue aluminum ones work well. I just like to have something over the tang, so don't really use any devices, I just kinda wing it when I sharpen and do what feels good. If it doesn't cut good I change up. LOL
Alan
(04-25-2022, 11:54 AM)Admiral Wrote: Grammercy version is based on the Wentworth design, and I'll tell you, its the absolute best vice out there, perhaps the best ever made.  Very pricey, but I bought mine when they first came out after seeing one at the Valley Forge WIA in 2009 . . . . bought it to replace a 3D; it was still expensive then, but the price has exploded since then to about $250.  I still have a 3D floating around in my shop somewhere.

I agree with your praise of the Grammercy vise, but instead of bankrolling that purchase, I applied those dollars to the Lie-Nielsen Twin Screw Vise and made a simple plywood clamshell inserted in that vise (as Lie-Nielsen does) to hold saw plates for sharpening.  Darryl Weir also uses a home-made long wood clamshell as a saw vise.  I tried a Disston G-4 briefly, but found its relatively crude casting and poor bench clamp design to be almost useless.
(05-01-2022, 06:46 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I agree with your praise of the Grammercy vise, but instead of bankrolling that purchase, I applied those dollars to the Lie-Nielsen Twin Screw Vise and made a simple plywood clamshell inserted in that vise (as Lie-Nielsen does) to hold saw plates for sharpening.  Darryl Weir also uses a home-made long wood clamshell as a saw vise.  I tried a Disston G-4 briefly, but found its relatively crude casting and poor bench clamp design to be almost useless.

I have a Grammarcy, that is good for taking along some where, wish it were a few inches wider, but you will have to pry my go to ACME out of my cold dead hands.
Big Grin
BontzSawWorks.net
(05-01-2022, 09:35 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: I have a Grammarcy, that is good for taking along some where, wish it were a few inches wider, but you will have to pry my go to ACME out of my cold dead hands.
Big Grin
Lucky you Ron, I've never been lucky to find one. They're like hen's teeth, not to mention the shipping is a deal breaker for most people. They made a filer also, but most of the filers are just too complicated for me. Pete Taran, OTOH, loves his Foley filers and for various reasons feels it's better than sharpening by hand. Mike Brady points out the wooden DIY vise, I also think they work great, just that I would like to create something using magnets to make something that is more rigid than we have currently, and allow for the handle space with a very thin jaw to come in contact with the plate, therefore holding it secure to work on.
Alan
(05-01-2022, 09:35 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: but you will have to pry my go to ACME out of my cold dead hands.
Big Grin

One of the very few tools I'm lusting after these days.
Impossible to find a seller who will ship this cross the ocean.

Cheers
Pedder