A 10' cord
So I got my Delta Unisaw, and I had to have a way tp plug it into my welder socket. I nwent out to get the parts and pieces. A plug that fits the welder socket, $38, 10' of 12-3, $37.90. a female plug for the saw, $18. $93.90 for a 10" cord. WOW !
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Yeah, it has gone kind of nutso.

I hold on to almost any wire I find.  My wife thinks I have hoarder tendencies.  However, with the price of wire, I'd rather go to the cabinet and find a piece that can be reused.  That's how I made the 20' extension cord that provides power to my cabinet saw.  I also reused some scrap wire I found years ago for a 4-outlet gang box that has been a daily-use item in my shop for the past 15+ years.

I also keep plugs (male and female) from old items if they can be reused.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I have been known to remove the cords from ovens or dryers when they are being disposed of. Gets you the male plug and some of the cord right there.
(05-02-2022, 11:23 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: I have been known to remove the cords from ovens or dryers when they are being disposed of.  Gets you the male plug and some of the cord right there.

Sometimes you can find these for cheap at the Habitat Restore.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(05-02-2022, 11:38 AM)R Clark Wrote: Sometimes you can find these for cheap at the Habitat Restore.

Was just getting ready to type that when I saw this post.  I get almost all my general repair stuff that way.  A decade ago I found a 75’ shank of 8-3 w/g soow for $10.  No need for it, but how could I not?

Sat rolled up in my garage for years.  Last summer my sister visited with her Tesla.  Prices were not what they are now; $5 for each end that made a long extension cord that went from my shop welder outlet to the drive and we had her all charged up in about six hours.

Cut three feet to make a pigtail to match my generator, and now I can leave the generator in my shed and still reach my generator inlet.
(05-02-2022, 01:21 PM)srv52761 Wrote: Was just getting ready to type that when I saw this post.  I get almost all my general repair stuff that way.  A decade ago I found a 75’ shank of 8-3 w/g soow for $10.  No need for it, but how could I not?

Sat rolled up in my garage for years.  Last summer my sister visited with her Tesla.  Prices were not what they are now; $5 for each end that made a long extension cord that went from my shop welder outlet to the drive and we had her all charged up in about six hours.

Cut three feet to make a pigtail to match my generator, and now I can leave the generator in my shed and still reach my generator inlet.

Sadly, these days are much farther between now.  The pickers scour the stores around here daily.  My cynical side tells me that they're in cahoots with the people who work there.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I needed some 14-3 to move a project along. ace Hardware was my closest, quickest option. 25 feet- $45. Yea I paid it. Home Depot wants $40- I saved 45 minutes driving so I was worth it

If it "doesn't eat anything", won't "age out" sitting there, and I have a spot to stash it, I hold onto all kinds
of things. Wire, plugs, etc included. Bailed me out too many times to count. Friends, relatives and good
neighbors too.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
A month ago Amazon had 25 ft of 14/2 romex for $10.76. I didn't need it at the time but I knew I was installing some new ceiling lights in the downstairs hallway at some point so I bought a couple rolls. It's currently $30 at Home Depot.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.