Help venting laser engraver smoke through a window?
Question 
I ordered a laser engraver this week (xTool D1) and plan on using it regularly in my attached garage shop.  Once I get it up and running and figure out a good enclosure size for the work I'll be doing (cutting boards), I'll build one so I can control the smoke. 

My initial plan is to run dryer hose from the enclosure box to a to a hole cut into a small piece of plywood that will sit the window, much like a widow unit AC.

My stumbling block is what fan to use to evacuate the enclosure box?  I want high CFM, 120V, and don't care about noise level. 

I might even mount two fans:  one blowing into the box to act as an air assist and one to exhaust. 

What would you use?
Semper fi,
Brad

I use a Harbor Freight dust collector and it works fine. I vent it through the wall with a 4" pipe. The one collector is hooked up to two Epilog engravers.
(05-10-2022, 07:52 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I might even mount two fans:  one blowing into the box to act as an air assist and one to exhaust.

You would still be moving the same amount of air with two fans, no advantage that I can see.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

(05-10-2022, 07:52 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I might even mount two fans:  one blowing into the box to act as an air assist and one to exhaust. 

What would you use?

(05-13-2022, 12:52 PM)Kudzu Wrote: You would still be moving the same amount of air with two fans, no advantage that I can see.

Actually, a fan blowing into the box makes it likely that it will force fumes into the room instead of out the exhaust.

If you can put the engraver in front of a window, then a simple enclosure that backs up to the window would let you use a window exhaust fan. BJ's and other places tend to start selling them about this time of year. Two fans (~8" ea) with an enclosure that slips into the lower part of the window opening. I think that I paid <$40 for the last one that I bought.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
How much smoke does a laser engraver make?  I can't imagine it takes many CFM to handle what one makes.  Commercial units are not that large.  

I'd look at getting a central vacuum type motor/fan unit, something like this, and mount it at a convenient location through the roof or side of your enclosure, and duct it out the window.  

Whatever you use, you will need to provide for make up air to come into the enclosure proportional to the CFM being exhausted.  

John
you don't need a lot of CFM to vent a laser but you do want to suck the smoke out not blow it.
(05-14-2022, 03:35 PM)fixtureman Wrote: you don't need a lot of CFM to vent a laser but you do want to suck the smoke out not blow it.

A fan unit from an old clothes dryer would seem ideal in function and price, but there are the issues of size and electrical hook ups to work around.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

I've found an inline fan that I think will work great as an exhaust, as it can be attached directly to the enclosure and the hose connected to it. 

I'll stick with just exhaust.  Thanks!

They don't make a whole lot of smoke, but more than enough to stink up a room.  For now it'll be in my shop, so I can just open a garage door.  In the future, it'll reside in my basement (so I don't have to move it around when using my tools), sitting right under a window that I'll evacuate the smoke through.
Semper fi,
Brad