Wanted: Wooden Planes: Smother and Fore
I am beginning the Mortise and Tenon Apprentice Workshop in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to developing my hand tool skills and hooking up with other like minded woodworkers. Joshua recommends wood planes so I am looking to get a couple to see what the woodies are all about.
What I need are a smoother and a fore/jack plane. Planes that need some simple tuneup are fine with me. I'd like to avoid major restoration that is probably beyond my skill set and the high end stuff is too pricey given this newbe test run. Let me know what you are looking to pass on and what it would cost to get it shipped to my workshop in Philadelphia, PA 19129  Pictures would help make this happen quickly.
I can't help you but congrats on the workshop. Please let us know how fun it was.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(05-13-2022, 05:14 PM)ron kanter Wrote: I am beginning the Mortise and Tenon Apprentice Workshop in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to developing my hand tool skills and hooking up with other like minded woodworkers. Joshua recommends wood planes so I am looking to get a couple to see what the woodies are all about.
What I need are a smoother and a fore/jack plane. Planes that need some simple tuneup are fine with me. I'd like to avoid major restoration that is probably beyond my skill set and the high end stuff is too pricey given this newbe test run. Let me know what you are looking to pass on and what it would cost to get it shipped to my workshop in Philadelphia, PA 19129  Pictures would help make this happen quickly.
Ron,

That sounds awesome! If I could do it over again, I wish I could attend something like that! I've never had the luxury of having extra funds to attend those workshops, it usually means using money I would normally buy old tools with.

Wanted to say though, I am not sure a a couple wood planes are the thing to start with, especially if you're not familiar with sharpening hand plane blades. If that is the case, you might consider just buying a modern smoother, like from LN or LV.

I would recommend a plane like either of these, I like the 62 low angle jack plane as you can get extra toothed and/or accessory blades to make it really useful. Low angle is preferred if you're going to plan end grain. The low angle smoother would be a good option also, I just find the slightly longer jack makes it easier to double as other planes, sucyh as a jointer. It also has a hot dog available so you can use it as a shooting plane. This, IMO, is one of the best values in hand planes for anyone venturing into their use to compliment machines. Because of the availability of the toothed blade and hot dog, I think it makes the 62 much more attractive as a first plane.

LN 62
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/low...jack-plane

LN 164
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/low...hing-plane-

A small block plate is also good, I use an old Stanley 60-1/2, it's a low angle block plane which works great on endgrain or with grain.

This is not to say if someone has wooden planes that are sharp and ready to go, that they wouldn't be useful, they certainly can. I'm just thinking of the learning curve to get a really sharp plane blade and if you're attending a workshop, the last thing you want to be doing is learning how to sharpen a plane blade that is about as sharp as a butter knife...this goes for vintage planes you might find as well. You will have a slight learning curve to be able to really get a hand plane sharp enough, and wood planes are finicky to get the blade tapped into place correctly. I know they are more traditional than iron planes, but there's a price and learning curve to pay to use them.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Alan,
Thanks for you suggestions and taking the time to enter so much good information.
The workshop is not in person. It is a combo of assigned reading from books and PDF files, reviewing videos, and participating in online discussions. It takes place over eight weeks with new topics and assignments and reviews each week. As a participant, I get discounts on the required reading books, and tools from a number of quality makers including Lee Valley.
I already own some of the planes you recommended. My interest in the workshop and the woodies is to learn new techniques and to slow down and smell the shavings. The guys from Mortise & Tenon also emphasis developing a sense of community among traditional woodworkers. The cost of the Apprentice Program is, to me, a bargain at roughly equal one of the planes you listed. Buying tools is easy; learning new techniques and appreciating the act of making things takes a much more personal commitment. I hope I am up to the challenge.