Substitute for Cypfress for Garden Bench
Sassafras is supposed to hold up pretty well outside.  It's also pretty light weight, if that is a consideration.  It's fairly soft and may not readily available in some areas.

I made a gate for my daughter's back deck out of sassafras 4-5 years ago.  It's holding up well.  Never built any outdoor furniture out of it though.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(05-29-2022, 06:17 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, shipping would be involved, but $4.60 bd ft aint bad, less then Western Red Cedar; https://walllumber.com/products/fine-softwoods/ and less than white oak which is over $6 . . .  https://walllumber.com/products/premier-hardwoods/

I have actually used the Aromatic Red Cedar ($2.85/bf now -- it was more like $2.00 when I bought it) from Wall Lumber for a bunch of outdoor projects, including planter boxes in constant contact with soil.  They have held up great for over a decade.  For furniture, I'd hit it with some 150/180 grit sandpaper every spring to avoid splinters, because it does tend to get a little rough as it weathers.
Otay OP,
What did you decide to do?
Start building yet?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Quote:Thanks to all who suggested alternate woods.  After careful consideration of the intended use of the bench (by a firepit) and my budget and gas prices and grocery prices, I decided to use pressure treated pine 2C4s from my local Lowes. (I get a veteran discount there.) Total cost, including galvanized 2 1/2" screws and paint, $118.

I'll [post some pics wren tie bench is done.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!