Table Saw Project
Several months ago I decided that my contractor saw wasn't cutting it any longer, and began the quest for an upgrade.  This winter I came across an auction from a nearby university that had a PM66 with acres of cast iron being let go from the theater department.  Over the past months I made a custom mobile base, dropped in a router plate, and built two drawer units.  The only thing I still want to do to it is a fold down outfeed table, but that will come oneday/someday.  Also plan to install a knee switch for the OFF button.  

Wasn't a bad project.  Saw ran great when I got it.  Just put a different end on the plug.  There were a couple of delays.  One being the rehab of an 18" bandsaw I came into during the time, and the other being the cost of plywood for the drawer units.  When I began planning the cabinets, 3/4 sandeply was $50 a sheet (and I thought that was high).  I balked when it went to $70 a sheet, and then jumped to $85 a sheet.  Patience paid off and I found a lady that had three full sheets left over from a project for $80.  

Some of you may recall the router insert thread or a thread about bandsaw questions.  Thanks to everyone's help with the project.  Promise to post more pics when the outfeed table happens.  

Nice...very nice job on the Powermatic.

Ed
Nice work on the cabinets, it is great having storage near the table saw.
The saw looks great.  How hard is it to move with all of that weight attached?
(06-08-2022, 02:32 PM)stav Wrote: The saw looks great.  How hard is it to move with all of that weight attached?

It does take a bit of a shove to get it going.  My shop floor is super smooth, but not always clean.  Combine that with sawdust sticking to the casters, and you have to lean into a bit.  On the plus side, I've never set the brakes on the casters, and the saw has never moved when feeding boards.  

Casters for the base were a big decision for me.  I had polyurethane casters on my contractor saw.  Rolled very well, but I had repeated problems with the polyurethane cracking, coming off, and ruining the caster.  I can't say for sure that the casters weren't overloaded though.  So for this saw, I decided to go solid steel casters.  They don't roll as easy, but they haven't failed yet.  Can't say the solid steel casters aren't overloaded either, but maybe since I'm not rolling things very far or very fast, they'll hold up.  Caster size was another decision.  The bigger wheels roll easier, but they also need more room to spin, and therefore stick out farther from the saw.  I saw it as a probable trip hazard and settled on a 3 1/2" caster.