Walnut table top
(06-12-2022, 07:09 PM)Francescowalnut12 Wrote: Thank you all for your advice. I think I’ll go with Rubio.
I have another question for y’all. There are some cracks that I have to fill and they are on the darkest part of the wood. I tried with a walnut wood filler but the color is off.
The dust I collected from sanding the table is also probably too light for this spot.
What do you suggest? I need something pretty dark.

Trying to match the color is never easy and usually looks worse than just leaving the cracks unfilled.  The better choice, IMO, is to use a darker filler intentionally.  Sawdust and shellac works fairly well, but I typically use epoxy with sawdust or Transtint dye. 

John
While I love using Rubio - they will tell you not to use it on anything that had a finish on it previously.

And it wont adhere to any filler or glue etc.

Ads to the original list from the manufacturer - i would say they meant one of those methods not all of them in that order
(06-14-2022, 02:48 PM)Wipedout Wrote: While I love using Rubio - they will tell you not to use it on anything that had a finish on it previously.

And it wont adhere to any filler or glue etc.

Ads to the original list from the manufacturer - i would say they meant one of those methods not all of them in that order

Rubio will certainly adhere to CA glue and epoxy. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't adhere to a glue/sawdust slurry (homemade wood filler) either. At the very least, it would adhere to Rubio's filler. Essentially anything water-based or solvent-based that cures will work. Putty won't, but that's non-hardening and no finish will adhere to it.

Stripping old finishes is recommended for most every finish on the market, so that's not unique.
(06-09-2022, 09:28 PM)Willyou Wrote: Please refer to the final sentence of the paragraph you quote.

Don't need to.

Plenty of one step products that give the look of Danish oil but don't require the effort or multiple coats.   And more importantly - don't require another product to top coat for protection.

Besides - lots of danish oils are sold as varnishes and DON"T REQUIRE A TOP COAT.   And if you do add something like a poly , you're gonna lose any kind of easy repair ability the oil afforded you to begin with.   So, one's "whatever finish you prefer" might just be no finish in addition to the danish oil
No