Dado blade
While rummaging through the old work shop, I ran across this. It is a Sears Craftsman Excalibur dado blade set. I am sure it has to be at least 25 years old, but has had very little use by the looks of it. It consists of 2 blade on pivoting (sort of) washers that allow you to adjust the width of the cut from 1/4" t0 13/16". Does anyone have one of these? Is it worth having?

Thanks   Greg

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
I had that exact set: first Dado set that I bought for my Ryobi BR3000 table saw many years ago. Its a wobble dado. As I recall it worked fine for the work I was doing at the time. May not give you the finish that a stacked dado set will give you, but might be just fine for non-demanding work.

(06-10-2022, 02:47 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: While rummaging through the old work shop, I ran across this. It is a Sears Craftsman Excalibur dado blade set. I am sure it has to be at least 25 years old, but has had very little use by the looks of it. It consists of 2 blade on pivoting (sort of) washers that allow you to adjust the width of the cut from 1/4" t0 13/16". Does anyone have one of these? Is it worth having?

Thanks   Greg
(06-10-2022, 03:58 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: I had that exact set: first Dado set that I bought for my Ryobi BR3000 table saw many years ago. Its a wobble dado. As I recall it worked fine for the work I was doing at the time. May not give you the finish that a stacked dado set will give you, but might be just fine for non-demanding work.

Follow it up with a router plane and have a flat bottom dado.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I had one many years ago. I used it in a radial arm saw before I had a table saw. I worked well enough but was a little scary to watch the first few times I used it.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
I have one that is even older. It has only one wobbling blade. You talk about scary! It is easy to adjust and use, but the cut is pretty crude. It leaves splintery edges. You can adjust it just by loosening the arbor nut. No need to remove it. It's a good tool for rough work. I'm amazed that dado bottoms are almost flat rather than curved. Something in the way the teeth are ground, I guess.
I have had one for 30 years, and I still use it.  It has performed well.  It has two blades that wobble, so I think this has a more balanced action (ie perhaps less scary than a single wobbling blade).  The two blades do result in a quite decent dado; not a perfectly flat bottom, but pretty darned close.  

It works sufficiently well that I never could really justify springing for a conventional stacked dado set.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(06-10-2022, 02:47 PM)Gregor1 Wrote: While rummaging through the old work shop, I ran across this. It is a Sears Craftsman Excalibur dado blade set. I am sure it has to be at least 25 years old, but has had very little use by the looks of it. It consists of 2 blade on pivoting (sort of) washers that allow you to adjust the width of the cut from 1/4" t0 13/16". Does anyone have one of these? Is it worth having?

Thanks   Greg

I have one.  Two blades that move apart.  A dial in the center.  I like it.  I built many things with it.  I haven't used it in a long time.