Help with finishing defect
On my last two projects I have encountered a finisihing defect that I could use some advice on how to fix (or how to avoid).

I use M. L. Campbell Magnamax precatalyzed lacquer sprayed from a Graco 3 stage HVLP.

In both cases the initial problem is my fault in that I have a small void in the project that I determine to be small enough that I can live with it.  But when I apply the finish it telegraphs through the finish and actually amplifies it revealing a "crater" in the finish.  In one case I tried adding a couple extra coats, sanding down to try and level and then adding another couple coats.  No matter how small the defect is it seems that the thin coats of finish will never fill the "crater".  Could a guy use a water color brush and careful place some drops of finish in the "crater" to fill it, then sand to level, and put on a final coat?  other ideas?

The real answer I guess is to avoid the initial gap before finishing.  How would you fill something like this?  Glue and sawdust?  Finish and sawdust?

Here is a picture showing my problem.

(06-22-2022, 10:28 AM)BrentDH Wrote: On my last two projects I have encountered a finisihing defect that I could use some advice on how to fix (or how to avoid).

I use M. L. Campbell Magnamax precatalyzed lacquer sprayed from a Graco 3 stage HVLP.

In both cases the initial problem is my fault in that I have a small void in the project that I determine to be small enough that I can live with it.  But when I apply the finish it telegraphs through the finish and actually amplifies it revealing a "crater" in the finish.  In one case I tried adding a couple extra coats, sanding down to try and level and then adding another couple coats.  No matter how small the defect is it seems that the thin coats of finish will never fill the "crater".  Could a guy use a water color brush and careful place some drops of finish in the "crater" to fill it, then sand to level, and put on a final coat?  other ideas?

The real answer I guess is to avoid the initial gap before finishing.  How would you fill something like this?  Glue and sawdust?  Finish and sawdust?

Here is a picture showing my problem.

I've had good luck filling small defects like that with CA glue and sawdust.  5 minute epoxy and sawdust works, too.  Just be sure to tape off what you don't want to get any glue on.  

John
(06-22-2022, 12:24 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've had good luck filling small defects like that with CA glue and sawdust.  5 minute epoxy and sawdust works, too.  Just be sure to tape off what you don't want to get any glue on.  

John

John, any thoughts on recovering now that i have three coats of finish on there?  Or are you suggesting that I could still add the CA glue and saw dust after the first coats and then apply a final coat afterwards?  I am still thinking of trying droplets of finish right on the bad spot and sanding flat after it is dry.  Then adding a final coat.
(06-22-2022, 01:25 PM)BrentDH Wrote: John, any thoughts on recovering now that i have three coats of finish on there?  Or are you suggesting that I could still add the CA glue and saw dust after the first coats and then apply a final coat afterwards?  I am still thinking of trying droplets of finish right on the bad spot and sanding flat after it is dry.  Then adding a final coat.

CA sticks to most anything, so I think you could still affect a repair on it.  Epoxy should work, too.  After either, I'd sand the top back enough to get rid of the orange peel and then spray another coat or two.  Thinning the finish should help eliminate the orange peel.  Try it on some scrap first.  

That's not a criticism; the board looks fantastic from a distance.  And it'll look just as nice up close if the finish is flat and smooth.  

John
Fill it with clear epoxy (no sanding dust). Once cured, sand or scrape it smooth and add a coat or two of finish. it will blend in pretty well.
If you prefer to add some sanding dust, be careful what species and amount you use. You want to use just enough to add color to the epoxy, but keep it somewhat translucent. Also, note that when the dust gets wet with the epoxy it will look darker. So, start with a lighter color dust.
You could also try filling with a clear shellac stick, which is applied with a warm, flexible knife. (Anybody know why my text comes out bold?)