Fine Woodworking on routing...Really?
Not sure what the problem is - that is exactly how infra specifies centering for their dovetail jig.  Grandfather fence is not a 2 x 4 but the concept is the samd.  Perhaps a description of better ways is in order
Rick Dr
Rick

(07-23-2022, 01:50 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020/03/...uter-table

I suppose they were short of material or videos to post on their website.

Simon

It would have been helpful to indicate what you found wrong about the video in addition to posting the link. And it would even more helpful to point us to the correct way of doing it. "Don't do it this way" doesn't help beginners.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Self-center mortising is nothing new, and even some beginners do it.....without using the clumsy and crude method seen in the video. Norm Abram cut centered grooves on rails and stiles all the time without oops and oops.

If you find the FW video showing a good mortising technique and the way he did it inspiring confidence to a viewer, you don't need anyone to tell you what is wrong with it.

Simon
(07-25-2022, 08:20 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Self-center mortising is nothing new, and even some beginners do it.....without using the clumsy and crude method seen in the video. Norm Abram cut centered grooves on rails and stiles all the time without oops and oops.

If you find the FW video showing a good mortising technique and the way he did it inspiring confidence to a viewer, you don't need anyone to tell you what is wrong with it.

Simon

What?
(07-25-2022, 08:20 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Self-center mortising is nothing new, and even some beginners do it.....without using the clumsy and crude method seen in the video. Norm Abram cut centered grooves on rails and stiles all the time without oops and oops.

Simon

So, it's up to the viewer to determine whether it's a good method or not?  I don't see how that prevents a beginner from repeating the same method.  I normally assume a video posted about a technique is intended to be instructional, and that the targeted audience is either a beginner or intermediate level woodworker.  I'm not saying the guy's technique was the best way to center a mortise.  Just saying that how would you know it's not the best way if you haven't ever attempted to use a router to center a mortise.

Norm's method of cutting a mortise usually involved a mortising machine. When he used a router, he manually set the fence to the router to layout lines he drew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPFa3gI_aM
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I think sometimes they are running out of content.

I see it all the time on YouTube a lot of channels stall out for that reason.
(07-26-2022, 04:20 PM)AHill Wrote: So, it's up to the viewer to determine whether it's a good method or not?  I don't see how that prevents a beginner from repeating the same method.  I normally assume a video posted about a technique is intended to be instructional, and that the targeted audience is either a beginner or intermediate level woodworker.  I'm not saying the guy's technique was the best way to center a mortise.  Just saying that how would you know it's not the best way if you haven't ever attempted to use a router to center a mortise.

Norm's method of cutting a mortise usually involved a mortising machine.  When he used a router, he manually set the fence to the router to layout lines he drew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPFa3gI_aM

Sometimes, you can tell.

Tim Yoder brought a video to one of the AAW Symposiums (Pittsburgh?) where he introduced it in person that it was a what-can-go-wrong video. He also said it multiple times during the video.

Of course, there was also the clues that he was wearing safety glasses, a catcher's mask, and body armor (including the groin) in the video.

I no longer remember the details (hopefully, I still retain the safety info), but it was a very fun presentation by Tim.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.