Recent guitar resto-mod w. Hand tool choices
I met up with one of the local Forum guys today, and we talked about guitars a bit.   I did my first "luthier project" this year, concentrating on hand tools wherever possible -- I didn't use a powered router.

I had a small (parlor) size guitar with nice appointments but a fairly tinny laminated body.  I decided to extract the nice ebony-trimmed neck and bridge:


I got in a kit from an eBay seller, using some parts but substituting my own choices for others.  Here was the top, jointed with my No. 6, glued up, and a rosette & hole cut with my Veritas string-inlay cutter:


The body glue-up was done with every clamp I had -- I didn't buy any nice ones just for this experimental job!


Some careful backsawing and planing a wedge-shaped inlay was done here to conceal one ugly joint:


For the binding/purfling, I made an adapter for the Veritas string-inlay cutting-gage, to follow concave curves:


The guitar came out decent-looking and actually very good-sounding!


It was a time-consuming project but I can see how builders can get addicted to these!

Wonderful results, Chris!   You are fearless apparently.
Very nice work,  especially considering nearly all of it was curved.

Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.