Miter Trimmer
I’ve always wanted one of those. No real idea why, they’re just so cool!
They are great for base shoe when you need a tad off and you don’t want to run out to the saw.

I have one of those picked it up at an estate sale for $15 in like new shape and sad to say I rarely remember to use it.  This is a good reminder I wish I would have seen it earlier in the day.  I will try to remember it tomorrow
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

You guys are really making me feel bad...$10...$15...even $75 would be an impulse purchase for me. I bought a Disston 3D vise (or is that really vice?) and gave it away as I didn't really need it.

So I get it, I like old nostalgic tools and the miter is definitely one that was considered a premium galoot tool. But I just never find some of those goodies. All these years I had hoped to find an Acme handsaw vise, and I had to buy an entire filer to get it, but it will serve me well in my new shop, where I hopefully retire. Truth be told I might even be tempted to buy a Lion at some point for $400, but probably not until I get my hand working shop setup in it's own area.

I'm also a sucker for the old Goodell-Pratt cast tools, I have a bench mounted hand grinder and a bench mounted polishing lathe.

Ok, I shamefully do admit to using a Miller Falls #2 egg beater...

I guess in hindsight I was being a bit harsh on the OP when I'm a classic case of going M.A.D. (Machine Acquisition Order, which includes tooling).
Rolleyes
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(08-03-2022, 12:45 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: You guys are really making me feel bad...$10...$15...even $75 would be an impulse purchase for me. I bought a Disston 3D vise (or is that really vice?) and gave it away as I didn't really need it.

So I get it, I like old nostalgic tools and the miter is definitely one that was considered a premium galoot tool. But I just never find some of those goodies. All these years I had hoped to find an Acme handsaw vise, and I had to buy an entire filer to get it, but it will serve me well in my new shop, where I hopefully retire. Truth be told I might even be tempted to buy a Lion at some point for $400, but probably not until I get my hand working shop setup in it's own area.

I'm also a sucker for the old Goodell-Pratt cast tools, I have a bench mounted hand grinder and a bench mounted polishing lathe.

Ok, I shamefully do admit to using a Miller Falls #2 egg beater...

I guess in hindsight I was being a bit harsh on the OP when I'm a classic case of going M.A.D. (Machine Acquisition Order, which includes tooling).
Rolleyes
If you have the space keep your eye out for a picture frame machine I have picked up 2 both free.  The blades are kind of frightening

one of these and a French made one

[Image: UFE3105_large-scaled.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(08-08-2022, 11:19 PM)Bob10 Wrote: If you have the space keep your eye out for a picture frame machine I have picked up 2 both free.  The blades are kind of frightening

one of these and a French made one

[Image: UFE3105_large-scaled.jpg]
OMG, I would love to have a machine like that. My hand working shop will be approx. 12'x28', but I will keep about 6'-8' of the length for electrical and water hookups. This hand working shop will have a beautiful view overlooking a lake. I put a lot of value in these old nostalgic machines used to work wood by hand. Same with the Acme vise, or hundreds of other old hand tools I use.

I just gave a box away with some pretty useful tools. Hopefully they get appreciated and used often.

Is that Picture Frame Machine a Morse? (tagged on the front) Also, what is the French brand? I will keep an eye out for one.

EDIT: if this one was in the Bay area I would buy it. Unfortunately it is all the way across the country in Florida...it's made in Denmark I see, that's cool in itself.
Cool

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185522498224
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Woodcraft used to sell imported clones of these. I am guessing someone still does (if not woodcraft). They work well.
I have used them kind of like how people use a shooting board.
You can cut your trim slightly long, then use the trimmer to sneak up on a perfect fit.
They are great for getting a perfect 45 degree miter or a perfect 90 degree angle. They aren't very heavy, very easy to pull off a shelf, use, and put back.
Here ya go   Miter Trimmer at Grizzly.com
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
i've got the rockler version, which i'm sure is the same as the other new ones out there.  like was said, i don't use it tons, but it's great when i need it.  
Yes