My old drill press has died
Where are you?  Might be someone on here that might have a truck big enough to haul it and a liking to fixing old stuff
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(08-18-2022, 10:46 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Could the grinding sound have been one of the bearings going? If so, that might be a while lot easier to replace than the gears.

OWWM is certainly a got place to get help and info.

Tyler

I pulled the upper shaft and found that there are two gears badly damaged. I've talked with several companies that offer custom gears, but so far have had no luck. None of them were willing to repair existing gears by building up the damaged teeth, and basically weren't interested in helping. I did receive one actual cost bid for making new gears. Their bid for the smaller gear was a bit over $3,000, and the larger gear replacement of over $5,000.  I did try running the drill press in "high range", and there was a prominent "bump, bump" sound. It looks as if repair/rebuild on the two gears should get low range working, which is more important to me - I've got two other drill presses that can handle high speed (200 to 3,000 rpm), but I can't justify to myself investing $8,000 to get low speed function. For now I've got the old drill press parked where it's almost out-of-the-way, and will continue my search for a gear service source that's willing to help.

Attached Files Image(s)

As others have suggested, my guess is that you might have a shot at finding replacement gears over on OWWM.org in the BOYD section, metalworking area. The guys over there are very knowledgeable and helpful. There are a ton of machinists in the Metalworking section and I would be surprised if someone there wouldn't be willing to make the the gears for you. Certainly worth a shot IMO.

Doug
I watch Keith Rucker, Vintage Machinery, on youtube quite a bit. He does a lot of repairs on one off tools and vintage machinery. I recently saw him repair a gear that had the entire tooth missing.  Here’s his website
http://vintagemachinery.org/

Here he is repairing the broken tooth on a gear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWaF_QhcxA0
(08-26-2022, 01:26 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Where are you?  Might be someone on here that might have a truck big enough to haul it and a liking to fixing old stuff
Laugh

Scandia, MN, about 25 miles north of St. Paul