An old Saw
Cost me a whopping $2....for a saw that sold for $1.50 back when it was new.  It used to be in a Disston Display rack...of Keystone saws, on the counter at Kinnan's Hardware Store, in DeGraff, OH.   late 40s, early 50s era.   Store was owned by my Late FIL's father.  Another fellow owned Hoke's Variety Store just down the street, on the same block.

One day...Mr. Hoke decided he needed a handsaw.  

Fast forward to last week....at a garage sale.....Mr. Hoke's Daughter was selling a few items..including that very handsaw her late Father owned...

Details?

Appears to be a Keystone K-2 Speedster..

The etch included a race car...with SPEEDSTER etched across it.

Cleaned it up...compared it to the K-3 Pacemaker I already had..

Other than a different etch, and a different handle....both are 26" long, skew back, 8ppi cross cut saws.....decided to bring out the Wentworth No. 1..

Find the saw file..

Red handle....Work on the teeth a bit...

Then a test drive..

Had to watch out for the vise's handle....saw was cutting fast, before I had to slow down...

A handsaw that can leave burn marks?  Ok...backside of the cut didn't look too hateful, either. 

So...A saw that cost $1.50 new....and cost me $2 now......might just be worth the extra $0.50?

Small world, eh?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Sometimes, things go full circle. That's one of the benefits of generations of families living in the same area (making the assumption that is your situation based on the story).  

That's a great looking saw.  I'll double your money and give you $4 for it.  
Big Grin
(08-31-2022, 09:29 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Cost me a whopping $2....for a saw that sold for $1.50 back when it was new.  It used to be in a Disston Display rack...of Keystone saws, on the counter at Kinnan's Hardware Store, in DeGraff, OH.   late 40s, early 50s era.   Store was owned by my Late FIL's father.  Another fellow owned Hoke's Variety Store just down the street, on the same block.

One day...Mr. Hoke decided he needed a handsaw.  

Fast forward to last week....at a garage sale.....Mr. Hoke's Daughter was selling a few items..including that very handsaw her late Father owned...

Details?

Appears to be a Keystone K-2 Speedster..

The etch included a race car...with SPEEDSTER etched across it.

Cleaned it up...compared it to the K-3 Pacemaker I already had..

Other than a different etch, and a different handle....both are 26" long, skew back, 8ppi cross cut saws.....decided to bring out the Wentworth No. 1..

Find the saw file..

Red handle....Work on the teeth a bit...

Then a test drive..

Had to watch out for the vise's handle....saw was cutting fast, before I had to slow down...

A handsaw that can leave burn marks?  Ok...backside of the cut didn't look too hateful, either. 

So...A saw that cost $1.50 new....and cost me $2 now......might just be worth the extra $0.50?

Small world, eh?

I’ve had similar “burn” marks! To those pondering the marks, for me it was the combination of 3 in 1 oil working on remaining rust on the saw plate.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Not sure what happened to the first 3 posts, but that's a top notch story that goes along with the saw, and a very nice saw indeed. One thing we can't take away from Disston is the fact that he made the best full size handsaws and the whole taper history is fascinating in itself. Any of those saws with the wheat handles are excellent. I think the Keystone line was the saws without the Disston branding, he owned and bought so many of them that a good portion of sold saws were manufactured by him, I would say like 98% if you include the Warrantied branded saws.

Family heirlooms are special in themselves, and this one just doesn't get better, IMO. I'm sure you'll think about your FIL when you use it. It will really make that your special saw. Is it rip or xcut? Now you get to tailor it to your desire, cause you are the caretaker...
Yes
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Saw is an 8 point cross cut.     Had to get out the Wentworth and the file.....saw is now very sharp....and...it will get used....

During WW2...FIL serve as a flight instructor for B-17 Bombers....later, he served in North Africa....mustered out as a Master Sargent.
(09-02-2022, 05:21 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I’ve had similar “burn” marks!  To those pondering the marks, for me it was the combination of 3 in 1 oil working on remaining rust on the saw plate.

Hmmm, except....there never was any 3in1 oil  used.....maybe on YOUR saws?  Not mine.
(09-05-2022, 06:40 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm, except....there never was any 3in1 oil  used.....maybe on YOUR saws?  Not mine.

I usually give them a wipe of whatever oil is at hand.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com