In need of a replacement
Back when Norm was still working in his workshop...I threw a pile of leftovers into a shape...some pallet wood, some 2x4 pine, and some plywood..

Starting to show it's age, and not very gracefully, either...so..

Since I still have about 24 bft of Ash on hand...

Those "shorts'' are 1 x 6 x 48"~...I thought about maybe a Frame & Panel  sided replacement..and the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up even provided a "Plan"

(still working on a better "Print" option)

Before I could start making any..

of this, I needed to clean off the top of the bench, as it was a bit ...full..

Ya think?   So...

A clean start.   Only to be covered up, again..

And..not the "Pick of the Litter", either...

Had to use a vintage saw...to break these down a bit....gave the handsaws a day off..

6" blade, rather light, despite being all metal...SKIl Homeshop Circular Saw...even came in it's own steel ( and rusty) case....

Cutting for the rails and stiles..

Will need to get 4 stiles out of those two longer ones...rails were ripped for width...came up 2 rails short..a top and a bottom rail...will need to haul plank #4 to the shop..

Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-13-2022, 11:04 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Back when Norm was still working in his workshop...I threw a pile of leftovers into a shape...some pallet wood, some 2x4 pine, and some plywood..

Starting to show it's age, and not very gracefully, either...so..

Since I still have about 24 bft of Ash on hand...

Those "shorts'' are 1 x 6 x 48"~...I thought about maybe a Frame & Panel  sided replacement..and the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up even provided a "Plan"

(still working on a better "Print" option)

Before I could start making any..

of this, I needed to clean off the top of the bench, as it was a bit ...full..

Ya think?   So...

A clean start.   Only to be covered up, again..

And..not the "Pick of the Litter", either...

Had to use a vintage saw...to break these down a bit....gave the handsaws a day off..

6" blade, rather light, despite being all metal...SKIl Homeshop Circular Saw...even came in it's own steel ( and rusty) case....

Cutting for the rails and stiles..

Will need to get 4 stiles out of those two longer ones...rails were ripped for width...came up 2 rails short..a top and a bottom rail...will need to haul plank #4 to the shop..

Stay tuned...
 Thanks Bandit!

I am looking forward to another one of your build-alongs!
Ok..in order to cut the rails to length, I need to know what that length will be.....and will need the stiles to size, first....provided I can find a straight edge to run against the rip fence..

the old Tinner's Ruler doesn't like this edge..Was able to find 2 edges close to straight..set the fence to remove the waves.   Then reset the fence about an 1/8"  and place the just sawn edge against the fence..

Next, find the exact center point on one end...use that to reset the fence to split the line...so that according to Hoyle..

I should have 4  parts that match each other....ends needed a trim...change order came in....instead of 33" length stiles..it is to be 32" strong....cut them all to that length.

Clear the tablesaw.   Lay 2 of those stiles on top of the tablesaw...and space them out until they are about 16"....so the side of the frames will be 16" wide, instead of 18"..
Lay a rail down.   one end is square, lay a 1/2" mark on that end..lay that mark to the inside of one of the stiles...go to the other end, mark out 1/2" again..that is the cut line for all the rails to meet, one one end is squared.  
Whew..

But, I was still 2 rails short....hauled a 4th plank to the shop, cut enough off the make the 2 rails...and stash the rest to one side...

And then finish up trimming for length..

Somehow..15/16" looked a tad too FAT for this Project....and these are all rough sawn....thought I could just skim off the rough on one face...then come back and finish up with a 3/4" final thickness....from the worst of the faces...phase one worked a bit...some were not quite THAT thick....moved to phase 2..

Was done to the last of the stiles....was even thinking about setting up for grooves..Mistake #1

OUCH!    Thumb was pushing down on this stile, finger were pressing the stile to the rip fence....blade found a thin spot...something "tickled" the end of a finger..

While I WAS planning on ploughing a groove...I wasn't planning on it being an 1/8" groove on the end of me finger...was very deep, still went to get it checked out

Iodine ( OUCH) then their version of Superglue, and then those 2 bandaids covering a dab of antibiotic gel....

Ok...Stay tuned..and STAY FOCUSED!    Been over 31 years since a tablesaw snacked on one of my fingers...that index finger is 1/8" shorter than the right one...
Oooh, be careful there. You need that finger.  

Progress is looking good though.
Road Trip, today...took 4 planks back to my Lumber Supplier....needed to have them planed down to 3/4" thick.    He has a newer model Delta 12" planer...had it all set up, and ready to go...flipped the switch...nada....checked power cords....power up to that switch....motor not moving.....He still has my old 12" Delta planer...so we dug that out, and tried that....soon there was 4 planks..3/4" x 6 x 48" sitting in the backseat of my Chevy....

And, he got the rest of the day to try and fix his planer

Got them home, took the best looking of the 4 to the shop....needed one blank to help lay out the rails...

Rest of the plank can wait a bit...

Set out 2 stiles, a top rail, 3 middle rails, and a bottom rail....onto the cleared off tablesaw ( good for something beside cutting fingers, after all)

By the time I got to the bottom. ..I also had to width of the top panel figured out, and the other 3...

And went ahead and finished off the plank..

One at 5" width, 3 at 5-3/4"  width....

Ok...moved things around in the shop..tablesaw out of my way ( barely) and brought out..

The Dungeon Woodshop's version of a Router Table....had to bury a pilot into the fence..

And run a few parts through..

Keeping the outside face of the part against the fence...

All the stiles and rails got done...middle rails got 2, as did the bottom rail...for now....

Had to reset the mortise jig...these stiles are a tad thicker than the last ones...

Then the "Fun" could begin....stay tuned..
Have since mortised 2 of the 4 stiles....learned a few things along the way, on a very busy Saturday in the shop....took 2 sessions...

Was having issues with using the bandsaw to cut miters..

Not even close...decided to set up the tablesaw..

Even has a stop line I can see on top of the fence...goal was to miter each corner, and NOT touch the tenon..went through and redid all the rails.   However, this did not work out very well on the Stiles...

At least it was only one "ooops"..

So...for the stiles..went back to hand tooling..

Hand saw to cut on the waste side of the lines...then..

Chisel to remove most of the waste  and a smaller chisel to pare this flat...then the mortises could be done...

Laid out...

Chopped..and

Test fitted...continue until one stile is done...

Stay tuned, Part 2 coming right up...
Winkgrin
Ok, might be getting the hang of this, maybe....laid out the rest of the Stiles. so they all will match up ( looks better, that way..)

Clamped all 4 together...with the rails in place...mark a line across on each side of each rail...this will be the 45 lines' starting point...time to work on Stile #2

The middle rail mortises...test fit would show things a bit off...

There is a "trick" to use for a tighter fit..

Run a very fine saw down each joint...try again for fit...

Much better....4 mortises done...

Working from the "top" down to the "foot"

This one took a little extra work...had to remove a lot more waste..

On the first Stile...I tried this with the bandsaw...meh....second stile I used a sharp, wide chisel...and pared the area flat..

Unlike the wavy bandsaw results...grrr.   I do have one task the bandsaw MIGHT be able to do...and that will be to cut the foot profiles...once I am finished building these frames..

Since the first 2 stiles are done..dry fit them together..

Almost like herding Cats?    Will clamp this up, and set it aside...while I work on the other 2 stiles....then, maybe....I can start raising 8 panels and fit them to these frames?  Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Took a while, but...stiles #3 and #4 are now dry fitted together, as well..

Clamps are on both frames..

So I can pick them up, and set them aside until needed...

Need to start raising 8 panels to fit into the frames....then Maybe a glue-up by Friday?  

After that?   Plan is to add a web-frame between the two frames, to hold the 4 drawers...that I still have to build...
Stay tuned..
Need 8 panels, cut to rough size..and then raised....could do it with just hand planes...but..we have ways.

Each panel was cut to fit into their own location, and marked as such..Tablesaw has been set up..

Zero Clearance Overlay was in place, blade tilted to ~ 14 degrees, then the was turned on and the blade was raised up..there is 1/2" between where the blade emerges from the overlay, and the fence....each edge of each panel was run through...8 panels x 4 edges =32 passes..made a lot of wedges..

Next...remove the overlay..return the blade to 90 degrees ( and checked)....reset the overlay to make a 1/4" deep cut, with the fence now at 1/4" from the blade..

Rune all the edges through again.   Then, one last change...remove the overlay, lower the blade a bit...

With the rip fence set to reach the other cut...run all edges against the fence, with the panel laying flat...results?

I now have 8 raised panels, with a rebate on the inside,,, to fit into those grooves...

Dry fit.   Took a day or two..to fit both frames up, and then glue each up...

Let these 2 sit a day..or two...

Need to build the Web Frames next...
Stay tuned..
Good looking raised panels there.