Range Hood w/ in-line exhaust fan?
Where best to find a range hood with an in-line exhaust fan? We want a max of 600 CFM
The Zephyr we had at our last house had 600 CFM and worked great - but sounded like a freakin' jet in the kitchen. Even the lowest CFM was pretty loud.
Reviews on quiet Zephyr systems (2.5 sones and less) also have complaints about being too loud. So maybe the the issue is having the exhaust fan inside the hood.
So I'm thinking maybe find a range hood with an in-line duct exhaust fan to move that noise elsewhere, like maybe in the attic.
Thoughts and recommendations?
thanks
Ray
(10-18-2022, 10:16 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Where best to find a range hood with an in-line exhaust fan?

Reviews on quiet Zephyr systems (2.5 sones and less) also have complaints about being too loud. So maybe the the issue is having the exhaust fan inside the hood.

So I'm thinking maybe find a range hood with an in-line duct exhaust fan to move that noise elsewhere, like maybe in the attic.
Thoughts and recommendations?

AJMadison is just about one of the best places to online research appliances.

Yes, motors inside hoods are louder than inline or remote blower options. However, the latter are not silent or quiet.    Moving air makes noise.  The more air you move - the more noise.  Matters not where the blower is located.

Just about any hood can be made to work with an inline fan or remote blower.   Going with a solution form one manuf. is the easiest/simplest but it is not a requirement.
Thanks! I'll check them out. 
Yeah, there will still be the noise generated by the air movement, but not having the resonance from the fan/motor directly in the hood should make the hood a lot quieter in the kitchen. I just found out about in-line silencers too. Not sure if I'll go that far with this idea, but it's interesting.
Ray
Don't know if you're looking for DIY options but I got some parts from hvacquick. A fan, silencer, backdraft damper. Also one of the hood liners.

https://www.hvacquick.com/products/resid...en-Exhaust
(10-18-2022, 12:19 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Thanks! I'll check them out. 
Yeah, there will still be the noise generated by the air movement, but not having the resonance from the fan/motor directly in the hood should make the hood a lot quieter in the kitchen. I just found out about in-line silencers too. Not sure if I'll go that far with this idea, but it's interesting.

Silencers are to quieten the exhaust.    Your neighbors will enjoy it.
(10-18-2022, 08:18 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Silencers are to quieten the exhaust.    Your neighbors will enjoy it.

Neighbors are too far away to be an issue. I saw a video in which someone had installed an in-line silencer shortly above the range. He said it helped to reduce the noise in the kitchen. I don't know how that works to reduce the noise in the kitchen.
Ray
(10-18-2022, 08:03 PM)PossumDog Wrote: Don't know if you're looking for DIY options but I got some parts from hvacquick. A fan, silencer, backdraft damper. Also one of the hood liners.

https://www.hvacquick.com/products/resid...en-Exhaust

thanks! looks like a useful site. I will dig deeper into that.
Ray
(10-19-2022, 12:56 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Neighbors are too far away to be an issue. I saw a video in which someone had installed an in-line silencer shortly above the range. He said it helped to reduce the noise in the kitchen. I don't know how that works to reduce the noise in the kitchen.

Me either.  

I suspect it’s a case of the placebo effect or possibly ignorance is bliss.
I read that the purpose of the silencer is to have an in-line exhaust fan placed AFTER the silencer. The silencer reduces the sound of the fan traveling back to the hood.
Of course just having the exhaust fan in line and away from the range hood should result in a significant reduction in noise already. Additionally pulling the air would also probably result in less noise than pushing the air.
Ray
I can recommend The Range Hood Store.

I believe they are ZLine, which is an Italian company. We bought a 900CFM unit with 4 speeds. I will say you can never have enough exhaust.

We've been very happy with it. Customer support is very good. One of the lights went out and they overnighted an entire new assembly a year later, no charge. There grills are not the mesh type and very easy to clean.