PSA Fred West estate auction
I do not know if Fred West was a member here or not. He was active on some woodworking forums and was definitely a hand tool collector.

Ellis Walentine is the lead person for Wood Central. He posted the below on WC and I am sharing this here at the request in his post.

I have looked at the Day one offerings and, in my perhaps naive opinion, there are definitely some beautiful collectable hand tools being offered.

I deeply respect Ellis Walentine and his support of woodworkers. That said, I should add that I have no personal experience with the auction site and I do not recall interacting with Fred West when he was active online.

Quote:Date Wednesday, 19 October 2022, at 6:55 p.m.

This is a major opportunity to bid on some of the finest and most esoteric hand tools anywhere, the collection of our good friend Fred West, formerly of West Chester PA. Fred was a passionate collector as you will see from the auction catalogs linked below. He only collected the best, and as much of it as possible.

Here is the letter I got from his wife and daughter, edited for clarity:
Quote:Dear Friends of Fred:

Greetings!  Over the 8 years since Fred’s passing, our daughter, Eleanor, has carefully deliberated about what to do with his hand tool collection which she inherited.  It will not surprise you that Fred’s wish was that his hand tools be used daily by a wide range of people, especially younger, aspiring woodworkers.  Accordingly, to honor that wish, Fred’s entire hand tool collection (except those of his hand tools which have been retained by extended family in his memory) will be auctioned online in two parts by Alderfer Auction  on November 8 and 9, 2022.

So that Fred’s tools are as accessible as possible to as many as possible, there will be no minimum bid on any individual tool or tool lots.  Thus, we expect that purchasers will be able to acquire Fred’s hand tools at very attractive prices, as he would have wanted and insisted upon.  We hope that the auction creates an opportunity for many woodworkers to own specialty tools that they otherwise may not be able to afford.  In this way, Fred’s spirit will continue to support hand tool woodworkers in their unique craft and to sustain this most treasured art. 

We would appreciate you sharing this information with anyone you know who might be interested in the auction. 
PRE-BIDDING, DAY 1 AND DAY 2
       During pre-bidding online you are able to submit a max (maximum) bid. The bidding platform will bid on your behalf up to the maximum bid that you have entered. Here are the links to the auction catalogs for Day 1 and Day 2:

"The Hand Tool Collection of Fred H. West, Jr." auction, Day 1,
https://www.alderferauction.com/auctions/detail/bw90813

open for pre-bidding until 10 AM EST, Tuesday, November 8, 2022

"The Hand Tool Collection of Fred H. West, Jr." auction, Day 2,
https://bid.alderferauction.com/ui/auctions/90849

open for pre-bidding until 10 AM EST, Wednesday, November 9, 2022

LIVE AUCTIONS
   At the conclusion of each pre-bidding period, that auction will go live online from the Alderfer Auction platform/website. The lots will be sold one at a time, in numerical order, by a live auctioneer who will be taking bids from multiple online bidding platforms, as well as absentee and phone bids. Once the auction goes live, if you wish to increase your bid, you will have to wait until that lot opens for bidding and enter any additional bids manually.

Please note that there is a Buyer’s Premium of 20% of the winning bid amount charged to buyers using the Alderfer Auction platform.  Any and all third party platforms chosen to be used in conjunction with the Alderfer Auction platform will be at a 25% Buyer’s Premium.

To find out more about how to bid, go here.  Register to bid online by clicking on the "REGISTER TO BID" tab on any lot.  You will be asked for a credit card number.  Once you have registered with Alderfer Auction, any subsequent auctions that you wish to bid in will only require you to agree to the Terms and Conditions before being permitted to bid. You may also arrange to bid by phone (the minimum bid per item is $150 if bidding by phone) by calling 215-393-3000 in advance of the live auction.

Please direct any questions you have about the auction, how it works, or how to register and bid, to Alderfer Auction or call Alderfer Auction at 215-393-3000.

All the best,
Susan (and Eleanor)
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The unnamed saws of the second day are from North Wind tools. Beautiful.

And so are Ed Paiks Medaillon saws!

I would have expectedt more independend tool maker.

Cheers
Pedder
I was asked to re-post my comments on Fred made at Wood Central. Here they are ….

Fred was not just a collector of the finest tools, he was also a patron of  many custom toolmakers. For many, he kept their businesses afloat, buying their costly wares, and then giving them away to friends. He had something of everyone, and often multiple sets, always first in line, patiently waiting in line for a few years for custom items, and then would make them into a gift.

To say that Fred was as enthusiast was an understatement. His love and passion for woodworking knew no boundaries. He always saw the positive side of everyone and would talk them up.

Fred started the TalkFestool forum, and was as larger-than-life there as I gather he was at woodshows. That is where I met him. His interest in everything was infectious. He was always the first with a new tool. Bloody terrible woodworker - I think his crowning occasion was a TV stand or wall covering that gently swayed … By trade, I gather Fred had done quite well with furniture stores. He could afford the tools, and I think he he obtained a vicarious pleasure in seeing them used properly.

To answer one question, why did he have so many tools, because he could and because he enjoyed the heck out of each and every one. They were his connection to craftsmen, with who he took under his wing. And then Fred reached out with these tools to educate and delight as many woodworkers as he could. For some, collections are selfish; for Fred they were for sharing.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(10-21-2022, 01:22 AM)Pedder Wrote: The unnamed saws of the second day are from North Wind tools. Beautiful.

And so are Ed Paiks Medaillon saws!

I would have expectedt more independend tool maker.

Cheers
Pedder

There likely were more tools from independent makers. Fred’s family kept some tools, and Fred passed on others directly.

Cheers, 

Rob
Someone posted a link over on WC to a Tribute to Fred West on Lost Art Press.

The tribute was from 2013. It explains a lot about how the tools in that auction came to be in Fred's possession.

The comments are impressive. I am humbled.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-22-2022, 01:53 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I was asked to re-post my comments on Fred made at Wood Central. Here they are ….

Fred was not just a collector of the finest tools, he was also a patron of  many custom toolmakers. For many, he kept their businesses afloat, buying their costly wares, and then giving them away to friends. He had something of everyone, and often multiple sets, always first in line, patiently waiting in line for a few years for custom items, and then would make them into a gift.

To say that Fred was as enthusiast was an understatement. His love and passion for woodworking knew no boundaries. He always saw the positive side of everyone and would talk them up.

Fred started the TalkFestool forum, and was as larger-than-life there as I gather he was at woodshows. That is where I met him. His interest in everything was infectious. He was always the first with a new tool. Bloody terrible woodworker - I think his crowning occasion was a TV stand or wall covering that gently swayed … By trade, I gather Fred had done quite well with furniture stores. He could afford the tools, and I think he he obtained a vicarious pleasure in seeing them used properly.

To answer one question, why did he have so many tools, because he could and because he enjoyed the heck out of each and every one. They were his connection to craftsmen, with who he took under his wing. And then Fred reached out with these tools to educate and delight as many woodworkers as he could. For some, collections are selfish; for Fred they were for sharing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Got to meet him at a few of the WIA events put on by Popular Woodworking. At the last one held in Cincinnati (2015?) I remember helping him scour the hotel and convention floor looking for surplus shipping boxes and packing tape. He bought several things and was immediately shipping them to people he knew that couldn't make it to the show. 

Funny little dude to say the least.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(10-23-2022, 07:07 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: There likely were more tools from independent makers. Fred’s family kept some tools, and Fred passed on others directly.

Cheers, 

Rob

Thanks, Rob!
Yet another confirmation...you can't take 'em with you...this is something one needs to plan for...

Use your tools and build as much $#!T as you can, IMO, and leave it to your family. I don't care if they use them, I just want them to keep it all in tact.
Yes

And if they do want to build something, they'll have a shop to do so...all they need to do is keep paying the property taxes....then leave it to their kids to build $#!T...
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
I met Fred at a WIA, forget when, incredible guy, RIP.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
That's an impressive collection! He sounds like a very generous, well-respected man.