PSA Fred West estate auction
(10-20-2022, 10:18 PM)iclark Wrote: I do not know if Fred West was a member here or not. 

I met Fred West in 2009 at a Lie-Nielsen hand tool event where he was displaying a Marcou smoothing plane, probably one in the currant sale. I wrote about the plane on this forum, but I did not mention Fred's name.

The next day, apparently alerted by Dedicated Collector, Fred joined this forum so he could berate me for not telling him the plane was performing poorly. I believe Fred made one other post before losing interest, so yes, Fred was a member of the Woodnet forum.
(11-01-2022, 05:13 PM)wmickley Wrote: I met Fred West in 2009 at a Lie-Nielsen hand tool event where he was displaying a Marcou smoothing plane, probably one in the currant sale. I wrote about the plane on this forum, but I did not mention Fred's name.

The next day, apparently alerted by Dedicated Collector, Fred joined this forum so he could berate me for not telling him the plane was performing poorly. I believe Fred made one other post before losing interest, so yes, Fred was a member of the Woodnet forum.

"De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est"
(11-01-2022, 05:13 PM)wmickley Wrote: I met Fred West in 2009 at a Lie-Nielsen hand tool event where he was displaying a Marcou smoothing plane, probably one in the currant sale. I wrote about the plane on this forum, but I did not mention Fred's name.

Warren, that does not sound like Fred. At all.

What more likely transpired was that you told him the Marcou was cr@p, and he gave you a go defending Philip (Marcou). Fred was like this - supportive and willing to fight for those he called his friends. And everyone was his friend. Maybe not everyone ... ?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(11-03-2022, 08:58 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Warren, that does not sound like Fred. At all.

What more likely transpired was that you told him the Marcou was cr@p, and he gave you a go defending Philip (Marcou). Fred was like this - supportive and willing to fight for those he called his friends. And everyone was his friend. Maybe not everyone ... ?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I just reported what happened. Not what someone in another hemisphere thought likely.

I did not make any remarks about the Marcou plane to Fred.
Am I missing something here?

Nothing Warren said about his exchange with Fred reflected badly on Fred. It was just an affirmation that Fred was once a member here.

Simon
Warren, Fred read the forums. He would have put 2 + 2 together, and responded protectively. He was everywhere.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Hmmm...someone need to get some fiber in their diet! Ain't that what woodworking is all about?
Razz
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
I never met the man, but apparently we were at some events at the same time. It’s a shame I never met him, he sounds like an amazing individual. I did win a set of his Japanese chisels yesterday and may be bidding on a couple more things today. And to Fred if you can somehow see this post, don’t worry I will put these tools to good use and pass them on, either when I’m too old to use them or when I pass on myself.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof