Rubio color
(11-08-2022, 05:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I call them like I see them.  In my testing of Osmo on walnut water left a ring, as if it removed the finish.  I'm happy you are getting better results.  Maybe it's the wood.  

John

I made a sample with 2 coats of Osmo Oil on cherry.  I sanded to 220 first, finer than recommended, applied the first coat, let that cure for 24 hours, scuff sanded with 325 grit, and then applied the second coat.  I let it cure about 5 days.  This morning I put a few ml each of water and bourbon on it and let it sit for at least 4 hours, then wiped it off.  The water was still beaded up, while the bourbon had a slight drying ring around the perimeter of the remaining liquid.  

Bourbon on the left, water on the right.  

Start of test:

[Image: AL9nZEWF7qaKBYxu9Szc8JXZkqLaIA4xbz9lD-WR...authuser=1]

Wiped off after 4 hours:

[Image: AL9nZEXaZ9s2KeEXMlPm3wvRKmCClilwbubUwuxi...authuser=1]

You can see a very faint circle where the water was, and the perimeter stain where the bourbon was.  I think both will be gone in a day or so, or with some mild buffing.  

These results are much improved over what I saw with walnut.  I sanded those samples to 180 grit, the finest recommended by Osmo.  So the results are muddied because I didn't follow the same protocol, more testing will be needed, but I'm encouraged.  I'd really like to use Osmo Oil instead of Rubio Monocoat because it lasts longer in the can after opening, much longer.  Perhaps the life of RM can be prolonged by storing it in the freezer, I don't know, but left on the shelf it will gel in only a short time, even when backfilled with Bloxygen.  I've had an opened can of Osmo Oil on my shelf for several months now, and it's still fine.  

John
Now I remember why I said Osmo is not the equal of RM.  It can't be as easily repaired if it gets damaged, at least that was my experience on the walnut sample I tried it on.  With RM you just clean/lightly sand the damaged area then wipe on some more RM.  It is absorbed only by the raw wood and wipes completely off the areas already finished with no evidence.  But with Osmo the repair is obvious.  The area you repaired doesn't look the same and the finish sticks to the original finish so you end up having to do the whole surface. And then you're still left with the obvious repair.  

John