Need a new cordless drill...recommendations?
big fan of milwaukee for 18v and bosch for 12v.

but now, i think they're all pretty good.  if i were in this position, i'd look at various tools available for a particular line, see what else i might be interested in down the road, then get the same driver.  
Yes
All the above-mentioned tools would be great big heavy-duty tools, drive screws right thru a 8x8! But, as you indicated that's not what you really need.
Go to Home Depot, pick up and look at the Makita Sub-Compact impact and drill/drivers. These are 3/4 scale of the big ones, 18 volt system, and are handy.
My big drivers got to the jobsite, Sub-compact are perfect for my wood working shop.
Watch this guy.  He does pretty good tests on various tools and is pretty fair with his evaluations.  He pays for all the tools tested, and he'll usually make a recommendation on an affordable choice if the tool that won was really expensive.  His YouTube channel is called Project Farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpjBJ8aQ3NE
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-10-2022, 01:52 PM)AHill Wrote: Watch this guy.  He does pretty good tests on various tools and is pretty fair with his evaluations.  He pays for all the tools tested, and he'll usually make a recommendation on an affordable choice if the tool that won was really expensive.  His YouTube channel is called Project Farm.

You read the original post right ?  

D_P started there first.   And proj. farm only tested 18v models so far - which may not be ideal for D_P.
I've been happy with my Dewalt 20V set that I bought in 2015 for a deck project and have expanded since. I have not had to replace any batteries or tools.

I did have an impact driver succumb to a 14 foot fall onto concrete due to a sudden gust of gravity. It still worked, but the housing broke. For $25, I found the replacement housing on ereplacementparts and just moved everything over.

I'm sure the other "major" brands are just as good, just stay away from the cheapo ones from Walmart/Target/etc.

I would recommend a couple of things that you think may be out of scope for what you want, but you'll probably be glad you did:

1. Get the kit with the impact driver. I'm still shocked at how much I use mine beyond woodworking. With the holidays here, there will be deals.

2. Get a kit with two batteries.

3. If you do any work on your house, consider one of the larger flashlights that uses the same batteries. These go on sale once in a while.

4. If there is some specialized battery tool that you think you might want later, make sure the "line" you pick has it.

5. Cordless tool theft rates from stores and workers are significant. I avoid buying any used ones because I won't support that. My electrician neighbor lost $20k in tools this year when one of his truck and trailer setups was stolen. They got the truck back, in much worse shape, but he always buys cheap trucks, so the trailer/tools was the big loss.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(11-10-2022, 09:54 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Most people will find it more helpful if you'd elaborate on why makita has fallen out of favor with you.   Just saying " I don't like brand X isn't very useful, even if I know you well.    Comparing a 5 + year old battery tool to a new one isn't really fare either.  Big strides are even made from year to year now.

You are spot on about platform selection, though DeWalt has the smallest offering of the big 3.  Ergonomics of the drill in the user's hand is a better decision point for a hobbyist.

I do like the Makita XT line of 18V drills. I've had a set for many many years and the batteries are great, drill is great, no issues. The old Makita drill was starting to show a little wear and tear, so I picked up a brushless LXT Makita drill (the black one). The problem with this one is the clutch slips in seemingly low torque situations. It's fine for small pilot holes but bogs down too much for me in most situations. Maybe I got a bad one? Compared to the old blue one, it's a dog. Makita also used to use high quality metal chucks, but now they're all plastic like everyone else. That's not a knock on Makita plastic chucks, they're just not a step better like they used to be. In the meantime, I ended up getting a bunch of DeWalt 20V tools including a couple of their drills. I got to liking them just as much if not more than my old blues so I guess I'm a DeWalt guy now. And to be clear I would still buy Makita stuff, it's just not my go to #1 pick like they used to be.
Been using Ridgid 18v and Milwaukee M12 in my shop for several years. Good tools.
(11-09-2022, 04:00 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: The old Panasonic one is dying, so I need a new one.  (I had a Bosch before this one (maybe 25 yrs ago that I liked).

My needs:

Long battery life
I don't need an impact driver (although do they make one the can be turned into an impact driver with a switch on the machine??  That would be interesting to research)

I've seen the video from Project Farm on drill drivers but I'll take any recommendations you've got.  Thanks!

for some context, I'm not a contractor, just a hobbyist WWer, but I don't mind paying for quality.....not Festool prices, but something a little more reasonable.

Hi DP

I still have a 12v Panasonic, and it is running as well as when I purchased it 25 or more years ago. Batteries are available. But, as good as that drill is/was, and it is allthe power one needs in a workshop, it is on the heavy side compared with more modern fares. 

Several years ago, when I thought the Panasonic was surely due to die, I purchased a Festool C12, which is 10.8v in Australia and Europe, but in the USA they call it 12v. This is a great little drill, light and with excellent accessories (angle and corner chucks, etc). 

I have Festool tools that are over 20 years old. I like tools that have longevity, and are reliable. May cost a little more in the short term, but they cost less over time.

[Image: Panasonic3.jpg]

[Image: Festool2.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Problem with Festool compared to Milwaukee & DeWalt is the lack of diversity in the lineup. Also their own quick-change chuck, wth?
Once one gets used to the performance of LiOn batteries and brushless motors its a new world. The OPE starts piling up in the shop, not going to mention cordless nailers....lol.

Also now we have battery adapters. I run old Milwaukee 18v nicad and current 18v tools on 20v max DeWalt batteries.

Ed
ajkoontz Makita makes drills with metal quality chucks. The black ones are their light duty sub compact drills which are designed to be as light as possible. Like most manufacturers they make different levels of drills.

To the OP do some research and decide if you need an 18v or a 12v

I would vote for Makita in 18v heavy duty and millwaukee in 12v. And by all means get an impact driver.

I think in makita you are looking for XPH14 or xph07

This is a nice deal on the millwaukee

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M12-FUEL-12V.../320268525