David Charlesworth's personal hand tools in estate auction
As you may know, British hand tool proponent, David Charlesworth, passed away recently.  His widow is having an auction house dispose of his tool collection.  Details of this auction are available through Chris Schwarz's Lost Art Press blog.  There are many Lie-Nielsen tools available in the auction but based on pricing of new L-N tools in the UK, acquisition of these tools plus the shipping costs, will most likely not be a bargain.  On the other hand, these are David Charlesworth's personal tools and are no doubt tuned to perfection.
Just so nobody has to search:

https://www.classichandtools.com/david-c...orth/c1308

In addition to the vast quantity of LN tools, he had Holtey handplanes, a Mike Wenzloff dovetail saw, several infill planes, Philly hollows and rounds, Colen Clinton squares and marking gauges, and sharpening stones (the Shapton Glasstones).  It appears the auction company will break out most of the chisels individually vs. as a set.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Cool Tools!

I would love touch Mike Wenzloff's saw.

Chhers
Pedder

BTW, No Ruler? Not a single one?
(11-30-2022, 03:40 AM)Pedder Wrote: I would love touch Mike Wenzloff's saw.
If you really want to touch it, you still have time left to bid.
Winkgrin

(11-30-2022, 03:40 AM)Pedder Wrote: BTW, No Ruler? Not a single one?
There are a bunch of new Starrett rules, but the site is very confusing as there is just one section that is his tools.

The Wenzloff saw was one of the first with an ebony handle, as I recall.

The Skelton saw is kinda cool, but I don't really need any saws...I have a new shop in my sights...I'll make my own.
Smile

That Wenzloff saw isn't that expensive, loosen up with those euros...LOL
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Dayam! I might have to put my Wenzloff saws up for sale! I have rip and CC half-backs and Mike’s interpretation of a #16, with special wheat carving by Marv. Virtually unused as they were too pretty to use!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(12-01-2022, 05:46 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Virtually unused as they were too pretty to use!
Blasphemy! I've never met a tool that was too pretty to use!
Big Grin

Now the auction is closed, and we don't know how much the buyer paid, I suspect it was more than $475 but not too much.

I do have a few saws I don't use so I did ponder bidding on one, but I have 3 saw that Wenzloff made for me which are some of his earliest. All 3 are great saws. I don't use them as I have saws I made myself as I do about 200 vintage saws...somehow just a few I made myself are what put a smile on my face...
Winkgrin

I sure hope Mike is still with us, but knowing Mike, he would have never been dormant this long. There is one person I suspect knows...Rob Lee.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(12-01-2022, 06:41 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Blasphemy! I've never met a tool that was too pretty to use!
Big Grin

Now the auction is closed, and we don't know how much the buyer paid, I suspect it was more than $475 but not too much.

I do have a few saws I don't use so I did ponder bidding on one, but I have 3 saw that Wenzloff made for me which are some of his earliest. All 3 are great saws. I don't use them as I have saws I made myself as I do about 200 vintage saws...somehow just a few I made myself are what put a smile on my face...
Winkgrin

I sure hope Mike is still with us, but knowing Mike, he would have never been dormant this long. There is one person I suspect knows...Rob Lee.

I haven’t heard anything about Mike in several years. Haven’t heard anything about Marv who helped him with a few things. I have no idea how many vintage saws I have, but I do know there are at two or three dozen sharp and ready to go, plus many, many more in storage. I’m also the same as you, the DT saw I made is my favorite, but I could never make a living at it. Just last night I was looking over my Foley stuff, wondering why I still have it!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(12-02-2022, 05:39 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I haven’t heard anything about Mike in several years. Haven’t heard anything about Marv who helped him with a few things.  I have no idea how many vintage saws I have, but I do know there are at two or three dozen sharp and ready to go, plus many, many more in storage.  I’m also the same as you, the DT saw I made is my favorite, but I could never make a living at it.  Just last night I was looking over my Foley stuff, wondering why I still have it!
Just last night I was looking over my Foley stuff, wondering why I still have it!

I think I know why, Tony...Cause you love tools and machinery...like so many of us
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

All of David’s tools went for Serious $$$$ - three times retail …. which is wonderful news for his family. I did bid on a number of items, but was completely out of my class. I would have loved a memento.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-02-2022, 05:39 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Haven’t heard anything about Marv who helped him with a few things.
I’m also the same as you, the DT saw I made is my favorite, but I could never make a living at it.  Just last night I was looking over my Foley stuff, wondering why I still have it!
Marv might not be with us anymore, he was getting up in years. Funny thing is Marv lived across the lake from where I'm building my home/shop and he sent me pictures 2 or 3 different years, about 10-15 years ago showing snow on the volcano behind my property. The volcano is a pretty spectacular view in itself. Any pics of the saw with the wheat carvings?

I'm like that with everything, I want to build everything, it's just the way I think...but I enjoy doing it like that...if I ever get this log home done it will be a miracle.
Rolleyes

I have tried to give a 387 filer away for free, numerous times, no takers. If anyone wants it, it's in Morgan Hill...I won't part with any ratchets though...some TPI are pretty hard to get...but the Acme will do all sizes without ratchets. I don't know what that means for me, I file by hand...
Rolleyes
(12-03-2022, 11:29 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I would have loved a memento.
I hate to admit, I said to myself..."self, you know how bad you felt when you didn't get one of Krenov's planes like Derek did...", I know that no matter how much I would have paid, in 10 years from now it wouldn't have mattered...just that before I buy yet more tools, I want that shop. I'll die trying to build it. I have a 12x28' space in the basement for hand tool work and/or saw making. My Acme filer will go down there. I know I will be saying the same thing in 10 years, "self, you fool...you could have had a momento..."
Slap

I do have a lot of momentos...ones that I've made myself...I guess that's the way it will be...
Yes
Alan