torsion boxes
I saw a post about a torsion box in the wood working section of this forum and I though I would write about it here.

Track saw are now the rage in woodworking. There are so many comparisons between brands on You Tube it isn't even funny and along with the comparisons comes their opinions. Not going to go there.

I saw one person on his hands and knees on the piece of plywood which was on a pink sheet of thick foam insulation, on the floor.  His main complaint is there was no way to use the track clamps.  Track clamps ,to use, or not needed is another story.

I could be wrong, but the only use for the foam insulation, in this case, is for cutting plywood and because of expense, storage is needed because it will be needed sooner or latter to cut more plywood. it. At 77 one can forget about me unloading a full sheet of plywood down onto the floor let alone getting down on my hands and knees. Where to put the foam when not in use is the main problem for me.

I saw one using a centipede. A centipede cost about $90 for a 2 x4,  which I don't think is big enough, and then goes up from there.  It does solve the floor problem and also the saw blade sticking out below the bottom  of the plywood, and amount of storage space is greatly reduced.  Cost is a factor. I do have a 4 x 8 centipede I thought it would be great, I used it once. I found it difficult for me to put a sheet of OSB on it by myself.  But again age can be a big factor. I have used it once.  Now when I need to do some cutting or just need a table I reach for my cutting table. My wife uses it when doing a garage sale. Like the pink foam storage takes some planning

I pull the plywood out of my truck right onto my table and set up and cut. I saw through the top of that table. And have done so for the last 20 years.  I thought I would share what works for me

Thanks for looking.

Tom
If I were to do it all over a gain I would build my torsion box table around 3 foot wide and not as wide as I built it. Also 6 foot is plenty long for me know and I think the table thickness would be fine at 2 inches thick and not the 4 inches that it is. The table is real handy for many other purposes

Next I have been using the the system you see for over 25 years and pre dates track saws. I do not believe that a track saw, no mater how good, will ever replace a table saw.  I size and finish all plywood pieces on a table saw. Finishing my plywood pieces has worked well for me for 50 plus years so I see no reason to change to a new system.  Therefore I have no intentions of ever buying a track saw. Since I do my sawing outside, dust collection is not a concern. Which could also be used as a reason to get one.

If I didn't have what I do have I would own a track saw.  

Tom
(01-14-2023, 02:08 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: If I were to do it all over a gain I would build my torsion box table around 3 foot wide and not as wide as I built it. Also 6 foot is plenty long for me know and I think the table thickness would be fine at 2 inches thick and not the 4 inches that it is. The table is real handy for many other purposes

Next I have been using the the system you see for over 25 years and pre dates track saws. I do not believe that a track saw, no mater how good, will ever replace a table saw.  I size and finish all plywood pieces on a table saw. Finishing my plywood pieces has worked well for me for 50 plus years so I see no reason to change to a new system.  Therefore I have no intentions of ever buying a track saw. Since I do my sawing outside, dust collection is not a concern. Which could also be used as a reason to get one.

If I didn't have what I do have I would own a track saw.  

Tom
I used a grid like that for many years Tom, mine was 3' x 7' and I simply placed it on my sawhorses. I pulled the ply out of my truck right onto the grid much as you do. The grid I made was siply cros laps and I could disassemble it for storage, made out of plywood strips that were (as I recall) about 4" deep. My torsion box grid bit the dust some years ago, and since then I've simply been using 2x4s laid across the horses...not nearly as handy. But I do have a piece of foam I've been thinking of using, not on the floor but on my assembly table. I thought I might cut it into 4 pieces, each 2'x4', and simply lay out the number of pieces I needed....but then maybe I'll build another torsion grid. Still thinking through.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I’ve only used torsion box once a while ago for table saw outfeed table so mine was considerably smaller.

I skinned it on top and bottom with 1/8” hardboard which made it considerably stiffer. If I were to make a 3x6 ft table for plywood break down I’d probably skin it and then use foam to keep from cutting into the table.

Just my opinion
Many years ago I built the David Marks torsion assembly table. 5' x 6' with 3/4" MDF skins. Good Lord is that thing heavy. Sits on two heavy duty sawhorses and hasn't moved an inch since I built it. 

Nice and flat though...
If you look closely at the first picture you will see that my table is just a web frame with some folding table legs.  It has no top or bottom. I would make it smaller and less thick if I was to make another one. It is not real heavy the way it is. And most of the cuts are shallow cut all in one area. Some people put sacrificial boards on saw horses. My whole top is sacrificial. Today I maybe cut 5 sheets of plywood a year so I do not think I will destroy
my table in my life time 

I try to just have the blade sticking out the bottom of the plywood or sheet goods about 1 /16th of an inch. I have built 3 sets of kitchen cabenite and the cut are as follows. If doing base cabinets I cut off 24inches off the end and then rip the 72 inch long sheet in half. It the cabinet is face framed then the width of the side only need to be 23 1/2 when finished. I put a 1/4 rabbet on the sides. if doing the top cabinets I just rip down the center.

I can handle a 1/2 sheet accosted the table saw. I feel that a full sheet is to much for me to do safely. I brake down all remaining cut at the table saw. 

I back up to the garage, pull the table away from the wall, unfold the legs. position the table and pull the sheet good on to the table . Position my pioneer track saw and cut. I just got a battery circular saw that I am going to mount on my slide so I do not have to chase down an extension cord. 

Don't make it heavier or harder to use than it needs to be. I consider it perishable tooling just like a drill bit.

Tom