Wall mount dust collection
Doug
Thanks for the information, I ordered it today, will have it by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Mark
Doug

Thanks for the information, ordered today, have by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Thanks
Mark
Not to be Debbie downer, Mark, but you may want to rethink that decision.  Here is the performance curve for that unit:

[Image: AL9nZEVPDcJ-5desPXczwaOSyk-8WE2_vqM7BZMy...authuser=1]

With a 4" hose you will have less than 214 CFM.  I can't think of one stationary machine where that's enough.  If you add a cyclone it will be even less.  Once the filter starts to accumulate some fines, it will be even less than that.

John
Just an FYI, my trunk line from the wall station is 6" PVC and 6" flex at the end directly into the collector (2 1/2 HP Penn State unit). From the wall station to the tools I use the Rockler Dust Rite flexible 4" hose (necked down), with blast gates for control of course.

I did not do any analysis before re-doing my system last year - just a WAG. Got lucky as it seems to be very efficient and does the job for me.

Doug
I started with a 1 HP wall mount. It saves space, but that's about it. I recently went to a 2 HP 240V unit and it's barely enough with a cyclone and 4" hose. I tried to go with 6", but I simply could not (God knows I tried) get those adjustable elbows to move. Even so, the suction and air movement at the inlet are very high, but by the time you get past the cyclone and to the equipment it's not nearly as much as I'd like. It's rated for 1550 CFM, and that's barely enough even with a small shop and relatively short runs. With dust collection you can pretty much never have enough.
(01-19-2023, 05:29 PM)Tapper Wrote: Just an FYI, my trunk line from the wall station is 6" PVC and 6" flex at the end directly into the collector (2 1/2 HP Penn State unit). From the wall station to the tools I use the Rockler Dust Rite flexible 4" hose (necked down), with blast gates for control of course.

I did not do any analysis before re-doing my system last year - just a WAG. Got lucky as it seems to be very efficient and does the job for me.

Doug

That's not a solution here, Doug.  The performance curve for this unit shows it will have a flow of 685 CFM through a (very short) 6" (smooth) duct.  That's just barely enough to give 3500 fpm velocity through the duct.  Any increase in static pressure, and there will be significant by adding duct length, adding the cyclone, adding a 4" drop, will lower the velocity which will result in stuff falling out in the duct.  

Look at this design chart from a larger Grizzly DC manual:

[Image: AL9nZEVezRawQac_w4sOLMg9ZzUI6-pygCbwvpif...authuser=1]

You need 395 CFM to handle a shaper, small planer, table saw, or jointer.  A 4" line will do that if it's short enough and has a DC with enough power to do it.  You can see from the performance curve that this one has no chance.  

John
Was out of town for a while
Installed and working great, much better than anticipated. It is on a dedicated electrical circuit.
Dedicated hose reaches to the table saw, which does not move, all others are on mobile bases.
Shop is not dust collection plumbed and never will be. One tool at a time on the dust collector.

Built a jig to hold the hose for the planner.

[attachment=46761]

[attachment=46762]
It takes wayyy more power than just about any ever estimate to effectively capture fines at the tool. I am not a doom and gloom guy, but there is a lot of science & math required to design a ‘just enough’ dc system to ensure no health risks in a wood shop. I have sensitive lungs so I err on the side of overkill. Just depends on if you are designing a dc for chip collection, fines collection, or air purity (I cant afford the last one)

I have a supercell now and its nuts - BUT, it requires serious piping / flex tube as it pulls 90” of wc through 4” of pipe. It will collapse 18ga or thinner (showed my eldest as a parlor trick, got their attention
Smile)

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(03-13-2023, 01:07 PM)MichaelS Wrote: It takes wayyy more power than just about any ever estimate to effectively capture fines at the tool. I am not a doom and gloom guy, but there is a lot of science & math required to design a ‘just enough’ dc system to ensure no health risks in a wood shop. I have sensitive lungs so I err on the side of overkill. Just depends on if you are designing a dc for chip collection, fines collection, or air purity (I cant afford the last one)

I have a supercell now and its nuts - BUT, it requires serious piping / flex tube as it pulls 90” of wc through 4” of pipe. It will collapse 18ga or thinner (showed my eldest as a parlor trick, got their attention
Smile)

Michael
It gets down to what works for me, and it does.
My shop is not plumbed, as I said earlier.
One tool at a time, did you read that?

May not work for you, so do what you need.
(03-13-2023, 03:42 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: It gets down to what works for me, and it does.
My shop is not plumbed, as I said earlier.
One tool at a time, did you read that?

May not work for you, so do what you need.

Mark,

I'm still waiting for that same unit with the HEPA filter to come off backorder. I too use one tool at a time. You did a great job on the install. It looks great. Where did you get those wall hose clamps? It also looks like you have a Dewalt 735 planer. Does it work well pulling the chips? I may have to steal your hose holder design too! 
Laugh

Do you have a tablesaw? Just wonder if it works well there too!

Thanks,

Mike