whole house generator ?
Thanks to all for the inputs, several of which confirm our decision today, which is to go with the higher-end system and be done with all the worry and procrastination.  First of all, that company has all of the equipment and parts in stock and ready to go.  Second, that company was the one who installed our heat pump/gas furnace several year ago and did a bang-up job and their estimate was spot-on.  Finally, when we asked the other bidders about some of the issues raised by the first guy, their responses ooched their prices upward considerably anyway.

The estimator is coming tomorrow to finalize everything and get on with it.

I appreciate the comments about self-maintenance and will take that into consideration.  I'm inclined to let the pros do it for a few years and carefully record their procedures, then decide whether it is another maintenance task I will take on.  Also the ideas about one 200 amp generator-connected panel versus two and using common sense as to what to is active.  My tally shows that if absolutely everything in the house were running at full circuit-breaker load, it would amount to 45 kW of power.  Take out the non-essentials (mostly 220) and it drops to less than 15 kW.

Gary
(01-19-2023, 10:35 PM)GaryMc Wrote: Thanks to all for the inputs, several of which confirm our decision today, which is to go with the higher-end system and be done with all the worry and procrastination.  First of all, that company has all of the equipment and parts in stock and ready to go.  Second, that company was the one who installed our heat pump/gas furnace several year ago and did a bang-up job and their estimate was spot-on.  Finally, when we asked the other bidders about some of the issues raised by the first guy, their responses ooched their prices upward considerably anyway.

The estimator is coming tomorrow to finalize everything and get on with it.

I appreciate the comments about self-maintenance and will take that into consideration.  I'm inclined to let the pros do it for a few years and carefully record their procedures, then decide whether it is another maintenance task I will take on.  Also the ideas about one 200 amp generator-connected panel versus two and using common sense as to what to is active.  My tally shows that if absolutely everything in the house were running at full circuit-breaker load, it would amount to 45 kW of power.  Take out the non-essentials (mostly 220) and it drops to less than 15 kW.

Gary

Sounds like a well-reasoned plan, Gary.  You'll appreciate the peace of mind once you have it, especially when you are away from home.  

John