Bowl Scrapers
(01-22-2023, 09:53 PM)hairy Wrote:  I don't do many bowls, but a good scraper is not a bad thing. 

I've been thinking about getting that big Sorby, but the Hurricane looks good at about half the price. I don't have that brand so I don't know if they are good or crap.

hairy

there is only a small difference between them and not as much cobalt in them.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-22-2023, 09:53 PM)hairy Wrote:  I don't do many bowls, but a good scraper is not a bad thing. 

I've been thinking about getting that big Sorby, but the Hurricane looks good at about half the price. I don't have that brand so I don't know if they are good or crap.

Hairy,
Been using this set for about a year now, Not the most experienced guy around but IMHO they don't hold an edge all that long compared to the wood River round nose and square scrapers I have. Sharpening with a 120 grit CBN on a woodturners wonders rest set at 15*. If I'm working a piece that needs a lot of work I leave the grinder running and sharpen often. They are nice and thick--a little over 3/8" --so chattering isn't much of an issue.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
One of our long-time turning club members advocated for decades the advantages of drop-nose scrapers. He made a convert out of almost every one of us that tried it/them.

I believe that it is Crown that sells the Glenn Lucas drop-nose scraper. It is among my go-to tools.

I also have some thick (~3/8") scrapers that I have picked up in used lots. That work well. I will get around to doing the drop-nose grind conversion on them sometime in the future.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(01-24-2023, 05:34 PM)iclark Wrote: One of our long-time turning club members advocated for decades the advantages of drop-nose scrapers.

What is a drop nose scraper??

Thanks, gary

(01-24-2023, 05:41 PM)shoottmx Wrote: What is a drop nose scraper??

Thanks,  gary

Surprisingly hard to find good images. It also turns out that there are at least 2 different interpretations.

In both cases, the top surface of the scraper is not flat all the way to the tip.

Instead, the last of the top surface is either:
- ground at a shallow angle at the edge to form a chamfer and a negative rake scraper. or
- ground with a step-down.

The step-down is the one that Myron Curtis invented.

For scale, that is the end of a 1/4" square tool steel rod.

The negative-rake version is what they taught in our Turning 101 class.
The Glenn Lucas signature scraper is a negative rake scraper.
Here is a link to a pinterest video of making one.

Edited to correct: the Glenn Lucas negative rake scraper is made by Hamlet in Sheffield and not by Crown. Sorry.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have heard of negative rake scrapers. I've never tried one. After the replies in this thread and some other research I am going to invest in one.

looks like my rounded 1" skew!  
Big Grin
......The step-down is the one that Myron Curtis invented.....

Geez, that looks aggressive!!

Gary

(01-26-2023, 06:59 AM)shoottmx Wrote: ......The step-down is the one that Myron Curtis invented.....

Geez, that looks aggressive!!

Gary

If you want aggressive watch some of Richard Raffan's videos.  Although the guy is a production turner and they're all about speed.

(01-23-2023, 05:54 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Robo Hippy retired

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7366535

He is still active on the AAW forum
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”