rolling pin finish
I have turned a couple of rolling pins - normal rolling pins to be used in baking.  I have done a couple in the past and have used Tried and True on them for a finish as it is food-safe.  Before I start the finish process on these two, I thought I would reach out and see if others had a better or different option for a finish than T and T.  Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance...FPT
(01-21-2023, 09:02 AM)fptahoe Wrote: I have turned a couple of rolling pins - normal rolling pins to be used in baking.  I have done a couple in the past and have used Tried and True on them for a finish as it is food-safe.  Before I start the finish process on these two, I thought I would reach out and see if others had a better or different option for a finish than T and T.  Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance...FPT

Rubio Monocoat and Walrus Oil are food safe.  Not sure about Odie's Oil, but also worth a look.  All should be more durable than T%T.  And then there always is mineral oil with paraffin dissolved in it.  Not durable at all but really easy to maintain, as is RM by the way if ever needed.  

John
Do they need to be finished? The only experience I have with this is rolling pins that have been purchased. The rollers appear to be unfinished maple and the handles are usually painted. When I see antique rolling pins, they don't appear to have ever had a finish.
(01-22-2023, 11:11 AM)Willyou Wrote: Do they need to be finished? The only experience I have with this is rolling pins that have been purchased. The rollers appear to be unfinished maple and the handles are usually painted. When I see antique rolling pins, they don't appear to have ever had a finish.

Probably not.  The two I have aren't finished. 

John
I made a rolling pin recently and went with mineral oil, which has worked well but could probably use a reapplication (although not critical). When I researched at the time, it seemed like some of the commercial makers of similar rolling pins that I found online were using mineral oil.

Tyler
(01-22-2023, 04:50 PM)OneStaple Wrote: I made a rolling pin recently and went with mineral oil, which has worked well but could probably use a reapplication (although not critical). When I researched at the time, it seemed like some of the commercial makers of similar rolling pins that I found online were using mineral oil.

Tyler

I think that's because it makes them look nice for sale, not because they think it adds any real protection. 

John
if you want anything on them, stick with food grade mineral oil or butcher block oil and just a light coat
(01-21-2023, 09:02 AM)fptahoe Wrote: I have turned a couple of rolling pins - normal rolling pins to be used in baking.  I have done a couple in the past and have used Tried and True on them for a finish as it is food-safe.  Before I start the finish process on these two, I thought I would reach out and see if others had a better or different option for a finish than T and T.  Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance...FPT

Ever since I watched Peter Follensbee's spoon carving video, I've been using flaxseed oil on my wooden kitchen utensils.  It can require up to a week to fully dry but it does dry, unlike the mineral oil I was using before.

And - bonus - I don't need to reapply it as often as mineral oil.

Note:  Flaxseed oil is the same product as raw linseed oil except it's been processed in a food-safe manner.  You can buy it at pharmacies, health food stores and on Amazon.
I have made a few rolling pins as gifts and didn't finish them. That was on the advice of a sister who is a professional baker and a brother who is a talented but amateur cook. My sister commented that she had never seen a rolling pin with finish on it.

There is a guy on tiktok. He is also on youtube goes by Brad's Workbench. He makes a tung oil and wax finish called tung honey he sells it on Etsy. I have used it and love it. Works great. It does take a while to cure but it dries to the touch and handle within a day. Brad is from Texas and makes it out of his home.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1098747676/...ef=hp_rv-2
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”