restoring some big dogs
(02-23-2023, 11:18 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Apologies Tom. I’m not communicating effectively.

Apology excepted.

Tom
Everytime I hear that old phrase:  " The sole MUST be perfectly flat to even work", or, "the sole was warped"

Usually said by a Machinist, looking for work.    Maybe plane bodies made of WOOD will warp, and distort...but, this is no money in that for the Machinist.

Last time I even NEEDED to use a set of Feeler gauges...was setting the "points" in a distributor on a car.   So....now they sit in a drawer, somewhere...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
[attachment=46466]Again I will say that my shop is closed until it it warms up. Because different materials shrink at different rates I prefer not to turn on any of my machinery until at leased 50 degrees, I will be in there long before straightening up and doing the things I didn't want to take time for last year. So I have been confined to a 8 X 10 area I share with the furnace.

I spent some time doing some of these. I have some more totes that I need to sand and get ready to finish as well as some knobs to turn.

I hit post instead of preview post. So I will finish the post here. Here are some winter projects, I had more ready to finish  and have more to do.

Here is the the Keen Kutter K 8 finished. It has a new hock blade and veritas chip breaker.  I changed  the front knob after the picture was taken  to match the #7. 

Stanley made the #7 plane for Montgomery Wards. So it is actually a Bailey without Bailey cast on on the Body and Wards Master on the lever cap. Here it is finished. Has a new veritas PM-11 blade and Chip breaker.

This is a really good picture of what the totes look like

Matching totes and knobs

Tom
(02-25-2023, 11:39 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Everytime I hear that old phrase:  " The sole MUST be perfectly flat to even work", or, "the sole was warped"

Usually said by a Machinist, looking for work.    Maybe plane bodies made of WOOD will warp, and distort...but, this is no money in that for the Machinist.

Last time I even NEEDED to use a set of Feeler gauges...was setting the "points" in a distributor on a car.   So....now they sit in a drawer, somewhere...

Bandit571 is 100% correct in what he had to say. I asked the same question why must every plane one buys have to be flattened. Answer they don't. I fell for that story 40 years ago. I tried flattening a plane bottom using a cast iron lapping plate and grinding compound. After 10 hours of work I took it to the surface grinder and straightened out the mess I made of it as well as actually flattening the bottom. Lets put it this way if you send me a plane you have done I can tell you if you are right or left handed. Cast iron doesn't sand any where as near or easy as wood. Some one wrote an article at some time saying how they flattened a plane. They didn't flatten anything, they just shined up the bottom.  60 years experience of working metal 50 to 55 hours a week says it is a waste of time and in most cases one does more harm than good. But if you want to believe a lie go for it.

As far as a straight edge and feeler gauges go. Some company sells a straight edge for $100 and claim it is flat so it must be flat. Probably 95 percent of people in America .
have no way of verifying if it is flat or not.  The other 4.99 that can won't bother. Bandit said there is no money in it for the machinist, But there is money for a straight edge on bought at a big box and checked their top on their table say because once again they read how in a magazine.

Fact, I have built 4 special machines with PLCs not CNC. Lots of jigs and fixtures but mostly progressive dies with a die clearance of .002. 60 years of it but I have never checked any of my 4 different table saw tables for flatness. Never checked the runout of a saw blade. never checked the runout on my drill press. I do not own a straight edge not do I see a use for one. Actually I can't afford to buy one that is accurate.

Might I add that if a feeler gage goes, there is to much clearance and if it doesn't there isn't any room left and I do not put much faith in them for that purpose.

Let see if I have it right.

Flatten a plane, some one wrote an article about and you except it as truth. Someone wrote a frog needed to bein place or the bottom could be distorted. And all this garbage get passed on as the gospel and is believed. It is just gossip.

I read the article in the magazine about how to check a table saw top for flatness. every one got upset because their top was suddenly out of flat .010 because they checked it with a $10 straight edge, that they bought at the 5 and dime and that they have no way of knowing if is flat or not.
(02-25-2023, 11:39 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Everytime I hear that old phrase:  " The sole MUST be perfectly flat to even work", or, "the sole was warped"

I  disagree  on this point ( Usually by a machinist looking for work.) It is not true about the machinist. It is the wives tail that every wood worker, who is anybody knows how and that it needs to be done. I was in the Woodcraft store in Iowa city a week ago. They were having a class on how to tune a hand plane. All the dribble that instructor was putting out, made me sick to my stomach. Iowa city is a 2 hour drive for me and I lost interest in just being there and left  There is a part in the movie American President about drinking sand because they don't know any better and the reply was something about they wanted to believe that drinking sand was the thing to do. I am writing from memory about  the movie and the actual fats my be a little wrong but the meaning is there. 

The truth is : I sold a Roubo work bench to a person in Springfield Il. To help sell it I offered to meet him in the quad cities which is about a 3 hour drive for each of us. I also sold him some moxon vise hardware. I had to go back through Iowa City to get home. So here I am in Woodcraft, on my way home, with $1,440 in cash in my pocket. If I would have spent the entire amount in the store, my wife would never have even looked up from the book she was reading. I spent about $6 on a paint can holder and left and I felt so bad for the 8-10 people taking the class and getting all the bad information. And they soaked it up as truth.

Tom
Actually..I do have better things to do with my handplanes..

Like putting them to work...This was sold by Van Camp, BTW...
(02-25-2023, 03:25 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Actually..I do have better things to do with my handplanes..

Like putting them to work...This was sold by Van Camp, BTW...
good for you.

If you will go back and look at the first pictures, they needed a lot of help. Planes do not need to be perfectly flat to cut good, but it is a by product of what I have to go to get then looking nice. I like my tools to not only be functional but to look nice also. Whoever sang the song, If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, then get yourself an ugly wife, didn't have his act together. Why can't I have both?

If it looks good I will feel more like using it. If the bottom is nice and smooth it will offer little or no resistance to the cut. If it is sharp I get great results. Great results make you want to use it more and so on. Now the planes in my shop are set for me and with the pressures I use when cutting. But anyone should be able to pick up any plane in my shop and after adjusting it to fit their way of working  get fine shaving effetely. A thicker cut will take a little more effort. 

Tom
Before.....

Before....

$80 +Tax...as is...

Stanley No. 4-1/2, Type 11..

And this was after a simple clean-up, and sharpen the OEM iron..

Old Iron..

Both still use their original irons...both are Type 11 planes..Stanley No. 3 and Stanley No. 4-1/2....both are users..

As for those fancy handles..

Logos on these 2 planes says Van Camp.....
(01-30-2023, 01:51 PM)bandit571 Wrote: The "Problem"?     Sprays all metal parts with a least a couple coats of Clearcoat.  

There's a guy in Frederick Md who sells his stuff at an antique mall. He's been selling there at least 15 years that I know of. I've bought several things from him... Most of my chisels. His problem is he tends to use a wire wheel to clean up rust on his planes. Not always but way to often. I've only met him once and I told him that I'd pay more and buy his planes if he just left the stuff the way he found it and didn't use a wire wheel. He told me "Shiny sells". The upside is that he does have other nice stuff. He finds NOS Nicholson files at reasonable prices. Lots of old American made pliers and they're usually under $6.00. I don't think I've ever paid more than $12.00 for a chisel. Usually under $9.00. Mostly Pexto and some Buck Bros chisels for a few dollars more.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay