Best way to attach pneumatic hose to barbed fitting?
(02-13-2023, 01:14 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Unbelievable!  I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area; my local CarQuest does not stock any size, two major hardware stores do not stock them, Granger carries a different style at a ridiculous price.

At least I know there is a good solution; I will continue the search.  I want it today...but there is always Amazon.

Found this on Amazon, $4 my hose is 5/8" OD hope it works: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CONUI8?psc...yp_imgToDp
Do you yave a tractor supply or similar? Any place that services or supplies such parts would have it.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(02-13-2023, 09:52 AM)Roly Wrote: Make sure the hose ID and fitting size match.  It should be hard to insert hose onto the fitting..  Roly

This. On occasion I've had to cut a small chamfer on the hose to get it started into the sleeve. Then turn and push, the sleeve is threaded on the id to help secure the hose.

Ed
(02-13-2023, 01:23 PM)davco Wrote: Found this on Amazon, $4 my hose is 5/8" OD hope it works: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CONUI8?psc...yp_imgToDp

I saw that one, but it has 1/4" threads.  I have 3/8" hose (5/8" OD) and the quick coupling is 3/8".  I emailed Milton yesterday asking for the number of the fitting I need, haven't heard back yet.  I may end up buying a 1/4" threaded coupling and ordering the fitting you linked.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-14-2023, 09:20 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I saw that one, but it has 1/4" threads.  I have 3/8" hose (5/8" OD) and the quick coupling is 3/8".  I emailed Milton yesterday asking for the number of the fitting I need, haven't heard back yet.  I may end up buying a 1/4" threaded coupling and ordering the fitting you linked.

That part did not work for me, the 5/8" OD hose was too loose in the female and the barbed end is not really barbed, it's just threaded
When it needed fix'n on a job site, here's what I did. Slide 1/2" copper pipe coupling onto hose. Insert hose barb (with or without quick connect attached) into hose. Slide coupling up hose to desired location. 100% silicone caulk will lubricate and/or seal both the hose barb and coupling if necessary for assembly. A PEX crimping tool will work. If not available, clamp coupling in 5/8" opening of your flaring tool. It will clamp but it's not strong enough to crimp. Finish crimping the coupling with bench vice. (Or in my case; put it on the trailer hitch and whack it with a #3 sledge.) Now reconnect the hose to the tool and get back to work!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
if you have a napa nearby, you could take the hose up there and see if they can assist. if they cant they might know of a hydraulic/pneumatic repair shop locally thaqt can
My most sincere apology to davco for hogging his thread...but...

Thank you davco for the best question on WoodNet in umpteen years!!!!!!!!!!!

I am marking my calander to celebrate February 17 every year "The Reusable Hose End day"!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out Milton does not make one for 5/8" OD x 3/8" ID but Edge Industrial does.  Holy Cow!  Life is so good when you can remove the hose clamp!

Thank you davco and all the guys with wonderful suggestions.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-12-2023, 06:20 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: This is my favorite thread!!!!!!!

A couple of years ago the crimped ring on the air hose failed.  I know of no other solution...the hose clamp...I hate it! I keep it wrapped in plastic tape...it's terrible!  I use the hose a lot when working at the lathe.

I hope someone has a good suggestion.

Thank you, thank you Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem solved ( for me at least ) I bought an eight-foot whip of rubber pneumatic hose from Harbor Freight,  with 1/4" npt threads on each end.  Bought a 1/4" female to 3/8" male adapter and threaded that all in to my hose reel, no leaking anymore.  And better yet, no hose clamps! 
As a teenager I worked for a farmer that bought small airplanes that had expired air worthiness certificates. These planes usually needed a complete tear down inspection and then a rebuild. He farmed motors out but we did all the airframe work. I learned much. One thing I learned is automotive type worm screw hose clamps were not reliable and would not pass inspection. I learned to use a small tool that makes clamps out of stainless steel wire. There is a small learning curve to the tool but it is worth it. Here is a video that demonstrates how to use it.   https://youtu.be/wS-YO0W3v1Q. You can make the clamp as tight or as loose as you want it. 

The utube uses a double wrap but a triple or even quad wrap can be used if you are worried about it digging into the hose. Also, do not forget to use a needle nose to curve the wire into the hose a little before you seat it. This leaves a neat smooth installation that does not catch on things or poke your hands
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!