1/8" chisel sharpening
Agree with bandit that you don't need jig to flatten the back of a chisel. If you have a 1/16" chisel to sharpen, the LV narrow honing guide is pretty much foolproof though.

Simon
As Simon said,  LV Narrow Blade Guide -  is for sharpening and honing the bevel, not flattening the back.  I had great difficulty getting the bevel just right freehand on narrow chisels.
Thank you all! I appreciate you being there. Always good ideas & suggestions.
I cut it three times & it's still too short!
(03-07-2023, 04:54 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Agree with bandit that you don't need jig to flatten the back of a chisel. If you have a 1/16" chisel to sharpen, the LV narrow honing guide is pretty much foolproof though.

Simon
I've heard this before and don't agree with it. #1 you can't hone just the bevel. #2 if you hone the back and its not flat, you create a back bevel.

Depends on what you're doing, but a back bevel on a chisel isn't a good idea. Don't believe me, try using a paring block for a mortise.

You still need 2 polished edges for it to be honed properly.
Perhaps you've misunderstood my point. I am not saying only the bevel needs to be honed. The back of any chisel should be honed flat, but without the use of a honing jig.

Simon
Depending on the cut, a flat back isn’t always required or advantageous. I think you should hone front to back on a fine stone and infrequently. When you need to resharpen, hone the bevel and strop the back.

I think bevel up paring is misunderstood by woodworkers and has driven us to flatten things that never needed to be flattened.