what is your preferred plywood gripper/carrier?
(03-15-2023, 10:04 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: well ergonomics is also a personal preference too and the ergonomics of this don't appear to be any worse than the under-carry kind (that I already have a shop made one) but with the added benefit of not having to lift the plywood onto the carrier and get it centered just right. It just looks easier to manage than an under carry. Certainly either is easier than just using my two hands with partially torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders - which condition sometimes make it a little heavier to lift the sheet good onto an undermount carrier.

I saw a video-ad for one online and it showed how to use it to pick up sheet goods off a stack at the box store and that kinda got me sold on the idea of finally getting one. Sometimes I'll ask for help from the store, but sometimes I don't want to wait for that help and I don't have that help when I get the sheet goods back to the shop.

True enough, but something hanging from my extend arm is far easier to me than having to actively hold the same mass at shoulder height.  Whatever works for you best, is best.  

John
I vote for the cheap panel carriers that the stock rests on and it Is an extension of the arm. I have a bad shoulder and it is the most comfortable to me.

Bonus is once in the back of the truck, flip it face down and hook it on the stock. Run a strap through and it keeps the sheets secure.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(03-15-2023, 10:04 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Likewise...https://www.lowes.com/pd/QLT-by-Marshalltown-Drywall-Panel-Carrier/1000208721

I've got an orange one similar to that for when I have to move drywall.  It does what it's supposed to do.
(03-15-2023, 06:24 PM)jteneyck Wrote: True enough, but something hanging from my extend arm is far easier to me than having to actively hold the same mass at shoulder height.  Whatever works for you best, is best.  

John

Yeah, that has its advantages too and it might depend on how far I need to carry said sheet-good. Not ever having used this top-clamp design thingy I don't know if I'll like it for sure, so I'm going to give it a whirl and see how I like it in comparison.
Maybe I'll post a review afterwards 
Laugh

thanks to all for your input!
Ray
Ray, I think you will like gripper.  I'm 5'8 so I locate the gripper, bend the knees, stand up, and go.  Pushing 78, I have a weak grip, so I use the gripper on "my" end of a sheet of plywood to flip it onto the table saw.

I also have a shop-made "sheet dollie", but it requires you to lift one end before you can put the sheet in place.  Oh, again my weak grip...MDF is so smooth, I rarely can budge a sheet; the gripper has no problem.

What a sales pitch!!! I'll bet they send me a commission.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(03-16-2023, 11:04 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Ray, I think you will like gripper.  I'm 5'8 so I locate the gripper, bend the knees, stand up, and go.  Pushing 78, I have a weak grip, so I use the gripper on "my" end of a sheet of plywood to flip it onto the table saw.

I also have a shop-made "sheet dollie", but it requires you to lift one end before you can put the sheet in place.  Oh, again my weak grip...MDF is so smooth, I rarely can budge a sheet; the gripper has no problem.

What a sales pitch!!! I'll bet they send me a commission.

Thanks Bill! I decided to order a two-pack of another brand for $50. Lots of options out there so I just picked one based on shipping speed.
I figure I'll keep one in the shop and the other in my truck to use at the box store. I'll see how I like it in comparison and report back here sometime.

Yeah, it's that lifting onto the under-carry design that gets me. I have a shop-made under-carrier and it works, but I have to lift the heavy sheet good onto it and that's a little wonky (sometimes the board wants to wander) and sometimes it hurts my weak shoulders (due to partially torn rotator cuffs in both). I can hold heavy stuff close to my shoulder easily enough without issue. It's how the muscles and other tissues are stressed to perform a function. Probably only kinetic therapists and those who have had such a shoulder injury would understand - kinda like a kidney stone, one has no idea how much that hurts until he gets one ... it hurts like absolute &*($R%@W*
Ray
(03-15-2023, 09:55 AM)Admiral Wrote: I've had one like this for the last 20 years, very ergonomic.

https://www.toolmarts.com/big-horn-19609...gKPufD_BwE

Plus one ... here.
Just my gloves.............
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The Troll 
Winkgrin