OLED TVs
I've been looking at them and am impressed at first sight.

Any experience here with them and any advice when purchasing?

Thanks
Jim
Jim
We went with QLED three years ago, because OLED could burn in.

And the fact that LG service is/was hard to get.

Here's a comparison. 

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertain...d-vs-oled/
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
We have both and the primary difference for me is contrast. OLEDs have whiter whites, deeper blacks. More intense color saturation. HDR video really pops.

Picture quality is quite noticable...as it should be for the price difference. We've had an LG 65" for about three years, no issues.

Now all of this is my experience. My wife doesn't see the difference....
OLED has the best picture by miles - but you'll pay for it.

Right now the king of value is the LG C2 series.

n.b.  barnowl speaks of hard to get service.............my experience has been if a tv needs service , it is ultimately headed to the trash can.   And secondly a tv servicer with good reviews would give me pause about buying that brand in the first place.   Remember the napping "Maytag Man" ?   That's the brand I want.
(04-21-2023, 01:22 PM)barnowl Wrote: We went with QLED three years ago, because OLED could burn in.

And the fact that LG service is/was hard to get.

Here's a comparison. 

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertain...d-vs-oled/

Thanks for that link.  I've been wondering about the differences between LED flavors.

Our 12 year old Samsung is beginning to have issues and I'd like a "smarter" tv so I'm not streaming from my laptop through the HDMI cable.  I'm a big fan of Samsung TVs and phones, so I'll stick with the brand for the new TV.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
burn in is a red herring for those that run around scared of everything in life.

CRTs - ( your old tube tv's )were susceptible to burn in too.   Did you ever have a problem with any of those ?

Iffin you were planning on using this as a commercial billboard (restarunt menu) or arcade machine screen - then yea, you might have cause for concern.   But if you're just gonna watch tv a couple of hours a day  - IT AIN"T GONNA BE A PROBLEM
No
I've had one for several years. They are awesome. The contrast is amazing, and the difference for that is particularly noticable in a few scenes in movies.

My TV is in a living room with windows. Never had a problem with brightness (though the room isn't the brightest to start with).

I'd only be worried about burn in if you watched a specific channel frequently that had something static on an area of the scene that was always there. The closest we have come is some video games, but haven't noticed any problems yet.

(04-22-2023, 09:46 PM)msweig Wrote: I've had one for several years. They are awesome. The contrast is amazing, and the difference for that is particularly noticable in a few scenes in movies.

My TV is in a living room with windows. Never had a problem with brightness (though the room isn't the brightest to start with).

I'd only be worried about burn in if you watched a specific channel frequently that had something static on an area of the scene that was always there. The closest we have come is some video games, but haven't noticed any problems yet.

Tahnks all.  Helpful information, I'm going with the OLED

Jim
Jim
(04-23-2023, 09:33 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Tahnks all.  Helpful information, I'm going with the OLED

Jim

This is the best TV reviewing site on the internet:  https://www.rtings.com/tv  I just bought the Samsung QN90B QLED and it's excellent.  I could not justify the cost difference to OLED. It's impossible to tell at the various brick and mortar stores which TV is best. The material that any manufacturer uses in showrooms is made to make their models look best.

Rtings breaks down everything in astonishingly complete reviews.
(04-22-2023, 04:43 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: burn in is a red herring for those that run around scared of everything in life.
BS. I have an LG OLED and burn-in IS a problem. Mine is burned in because my son would keep the TV on a single channel for HOURS, and that channel that keeps its logo in the lower left hand corner and now when there is a white background you can see that logo. While I know that CRT's had this problem, my son wasn't around then, so I never experienced that problem. So, this IS a problem if you have kids (or possibly a spouse) and the TV is kept on the same channel for hours at a time.

That said, I agree that the picture quality is great with 4K HDR content and the burn-in does not really affect that when the scenes have dark colors, it only affects really bright or scenes with white backgrounds.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!