I am working on building a nice table for my wife in our living room and I have other projects on the horizon - dresser, night stands, etc.  What is everyone using on their computer to draw up these kinds of projects that also gives you a cut list or at least shows you the measurements and how it will look and what each piece of wood dimension would be?

I've been using the free SketchUp Make2017 since it came out, and prior versions before that.  The new free version only works when connected to the web, something I didn't like, and has a poor interface IMO.  You can download Make2017 from the web, for free, but it takes a little looking around since Trimble no longer supports the product.  It works just fine though, so no support is needed.  There's an add-on extension called Cutlist that will create a cut list of every part you identify and also lay out the parts on your lumber and plywood stock, too.  

Some folks create incredibly realistic renderings with it, I think our member FS7 has shown some.  I never learned how.  

SketchUp can be used in 2D, but I don't see why one would.  Using it in 3D allows me to build a piece of furniture, etc, virtually, with as much detail as I want. I use it for just about everything I build.  I also can import the parts into my CNC software for cutting on my CNC desired.  

Here's a model I did for a table I recently built.  

[Image: AP1GczMPJaAV4c7MG48boKzRzEWP1qMeP1ZzPhwz...authuser=1] 
John

(05-19-2024, 01:05 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've been using the free SketchUp Make2017 since it came out, and prior versions before that.  The new free version only works when connected to the web, something I didn't like, and has a poor interface IMO.  You can download Make2017 from the web, for free, but it takes a little looking around since Trimble no longer supports the product.  It works just fine though, so no support is needed.  There's an add-on extension called Cutlist that will create a cut list of every part you identify and also lay out the parts on your lumber and plywood stock, too.  

Some folks create incredibly realistic renderings with it, I think our member FS7 has shown some.  I never learned how.  

SketchUp can be used in 2D, but I don't see why one would.  Using it in 3D allows me to build a piece of furniture, etc, virtually, with as much detail as I want. I use it for just about everything I build.  I also can import the parts into my CNC software for cutting on my CNC desired.  

Here's a model I did for a table I recently built.  

[Image: AP1GczMPJaAV4c7MG48boKzRzEWP1qMeP1ZzPhwz...authuser=1] 
John

Thanks John. btw nice name! ?. I have heard really good things about sketch up as well and will be using my ipad mostly to design.  Nice job on that table!
Lots of people use SketchUp, but every time I try to use it I think, "I'd rather be in the workshop."  I prefer 2D.  I have a Mac and use MacDraft Professional.  The price is higher now than I paid.  I think when I contacted them to buy it they gave me an automatic discount, but that was right at the beginning of the pandemic when everything was crazy.

Mark

(05-19-2024, 05:32 PM)MarkWells Wrote: Lots of people use SketchUp, but every time I try to use it I think, "I'd rather be in the workshop."  I prefer 2D.  I have a Mac and use MacDraft Professional.  The price is higher now than I paid.  I think when I contacted them to buy it they gave me an automatic discount, but that was right at the beginning of the pandemic when everything was crazy.

Mark

awesome. I own all mac products and will take a look.  thanks again!
(05-19-2024, 05:32 PM)MarkWells Wrote: Lots of people use SketchUp, but every time I try to use it I think, "I'd rather be in the workshop."  I prefer 2D.  I have a Mac and use MacDraft Professional.  The price is higher now than I paid.  I think when I contacted them to buy it they gave me an automatic discount, but that was right at the beginning of the pandemic when everything was crazy.

Mark

SketchUp is pretty easy to learn if you use a tutorial.  Like I said, 6 hours and I was doing real work.  I used AutoCAD Lite for many years, until SketchUp came along.  3D makes it so much easier to see the shape of parts and how they fit together.  

John
Software program for designing furniture etc