Politics 
So as not to hijack other threads, I decided to post this link...I think most people are shaving hair on their arms or slicing printer paper to demonstrate how sharp they can get their edges. But is that really good enough? How clean is the cut? IOW, how sharp is "sharp"..Most of he time I stab a paper towel then make a slicing cut downward...when it cuts CLEANLY, {smooth edges, no tearing} it's good enough for woodcarving or woodworking. And if you really want to get serious, try the same thing using single ply, DRY toilet tissue..and dampened tissue takes it to an even higher plane. I haven't gotten there yet! Make your towel cut in TWO directions because kitchen towels seem to be woven in two directions, like cloth.

If you think woodworkers are obsessed with sharpening, check out some of the shaving forums!!
Crazy
Big Grin

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/blogs...bPEALw_wcB
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

One of two ways..
Either there is a spot on my arm that no longer has any hair..
or..
I notice drops of blood on a project, but did not feel a thing..and it heals without a scar..

As long as the edge does the tasks I ask of it...I just get back to work..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

(05-23-2024, 11:30 AM)bandit571 Wrote: One of two ways..
Either there is a spot on my arm that no longer has any hair..
or..
I notice drops of blood on a project, but did not feel a thing..and it heals without a scar..

As long as the edge does the tasks I ask of it...I just get back to work..
The older you get, the easier you bleed!!!!! Don't ask how I know...
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Now there’s a dilemma…do you use sharp woodworking tools, or do you use dull ones ‘cause chicks dig scars?
Big Grin
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I usually try to put the blade/chisel/whatever into my thumbnail and pare a little slice. If it sticks in immediately it is sharp, if it sort of skates a little on the nail then it isn't sharp enough. On plane irons I go a step further and try to pare end grain white pine. If it cuts that cleanly then I'm in business.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

If the plane or chisel is not cutting easily, I stop and sharpen. After sharpening I do not test the edge ... well perhaps very occasionally out of curiosity ... just trust your sharpening method is reliable. This will be tested as soon as the tool is once again in use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I usually test on newspaper doing the S pattern as I slice down. That usually means it plenty sharp for my purposes.

(05-23-2024, 07:22 PM)Ricky Wrote: I usually test on newspaper doing the S pattern as I slice down. That usually means it plenty sharp for my purposes.
On the woodcarving knives I make, I look for the shiny surface imparted on end grain wood by the edge of a really sharp blade..It appears to have been waxed. After about 15 minutes of carving, I take he blade to the small buffer I keep handy to touch up the keen edge even a properly hardened blade will lose. But actually, I have been sharpening so many years that I just know when I have a blade sharp enough to suit me. Really sharp edges are a joy.

It is surprising to me how many carvers do not know how to sharpen their tools. I saw one carver at a show with a cigar box full of carving knives, pay a fellow with a Viel belt grinder $3.00 to sharpen each one. Most just needed to be power stropped.. He didn't know how to sharpen, but he had some fine carvings on his display table!!
Crazy
Crazy

Get off my lawn !
Upset

When your edges can produce this, they're sharp enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bhu7HjIGAk

Roughly 270 years ago...

(05-24-2024, 03:30 AM)CStan Wrote: When your edges can produce this, they're sharp enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bhu7HjIGAk

Roughly 270 years ago...

Sometimes I whittle a quick Rococo chair back to test an edge. Nothing excessive.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
How to know when your edge is "sharp" enough