My daughter's family has been using a third-hand maple drop leaf table that was given to us by my in-laws 50 years ago. It was not a great table to begin with; age and hard use didn't improve it. It was small and the drop leaves sagged. She asked me to build her a better dining table last fall. I happily accepted the order and built the table to her specifications. The top is 200 year old heart pine that I've been saving for years for just the right project. This was its chance to shine. The base has a center drawer for placemats, napkins, etc., and is made of ash. I painted the base with brick red milk paint, over coated it with black milk paint, rubbed out with fine sand paper so a little of the red showed through, and finished it with hemp oil. The hemp oil gives it a dull sheen and the red peeking out from under the black gives it a great aged look. It should wear forever. I shipped it off to her in D.C. a couple of weeks ago and her whole family loves it. This photo is all the payment I ever wanted. It's why I do it.

[Image: 53729923835_edb2b7c226_c.jpg]IMG_2936 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

Excellent!

Happy customers indeed.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me

Very nice work,  and that was a great form of payment - you don't have to worry about currency fluctuations.
Fantastic! And imagine the happiness of your grandson when, in 60+ years, he tells his (great-)grandkids that you made it.
Ultimate payoff - Good on ya!

Doug
Nice work and that is why we do it. And the picture is all the thanks needed.

Tom
Very nice job. I would have not used that color combo, only because I have no ability to put colors together. I tip my hat to you.

I knew the feeling of recognition from your kids. Both daughters point out the table that daddy built them. Makes ya feel good all over.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
Yep; great work.
Got any additional pics?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.

(05-20-2024, 05:23 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Yep; great work.
Got any additional pics?

Yep:

[Image: 53734454287_a0f616b5bb_c.jpg]IMG_0448 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 53735587818_c1cb184e64_c.jpg]IMG_0437 by Hank Knight, on Flickr

[Image: 53735820795_bfb25b595c_c.jpg]IMG_2909 by Hank Knight, on Flickr
Thanks for posting these.
I’m a big fan of old growth, antique heart pine.
Looks great, strong and smells wonderful while working.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Why I do it