So I have a brand new 120 volt Jet JCDC 1.5 HP dust collector hooked up to my dewalt planer with a 10’ 4” hose.  And after about 30 seconds the dust collector shuts off.  I have also made a ground wire that goes from the canister with the handle on top to the diamond shape mesh and then attached that ground wire to one of the bolts on the actual dust collector, all per Jet tech support.  However, when I put my hand by the chain that holds one of the caps for the 4” port, my dust collector immediately shuts off after shocking me.  lol.  I have this dust collector plugged into a separate outlet that is on its own circuit and I also have my dewalt planer on another separate circuit as well.  Any suggestions?  They suggested that I ground the wire that is inside my 10’ hose to both the dewalt planer and also my Jet dust collector to help elevate the static build up.  

What’s odd is I had an old Grizzles 220v dust collector and NO issues at all with static build up or shutting off.
Raised  I am open to any suggestions on this one and thanks in advance.

(05-31-2024, 03:34 PM)Johnny Currado Wrote: So I have a brand new 120 volt Jet JCDC 1.5 HP dust collector hooked up to my dewalt planer with a 10’ 4” hose.  And after about 30 seconds the dust collector shuts off.  I have also made a ground wire that goes from the canister with the handle on top to the diamond shape mesh and then attached that ground wire to one of the bolts on the actual dust collector, all per Jet tech support.  However, when I put my hand by the chain that holds one of the caps for the 4” port, my dust collector immediately shuts off after shocking me.  lol.  I have this dust collector plugged into a separate outlet that is on its own circuit and I also have my dewalt planer on another separate circuit as well.  Any suggestions?  They suggested that I ground the wire that is inside my 10’ hose to both the dewalt planer and also my Jet dust collector to help elevate the static build up.  

What’s odd is I had an old Grizzles 220v dust collector and NO issues at all with static build up or shutting off.
Raised  I am open to any suggestions on this one and thanks in advance.

Is the frame that the chain attaches to grounded ?  If not ground it and the chain itself and see if that stops it.  Use a tester to see if it is actually grounded.  The static discharge may interfere with the remote control.  Roly

(06-01-2024, 11:18 AM)Roly Wrote: Is the frame that the chain attaches to grounded ?  If not ground it and the chain itself and see if that stops it.  Use a tester to see if it is actually grounded.  The static discharge may interfere with the remote control.  Roly

Hmmm good points you have. No actually it is not.  The chain is just hanging off the two port plastic intake port.  But what is odd is I used my new saw stop 3 hp saw today and there was no static electricity going thru the hose but it still would shut off super quick.  I had no issues when I had an old 220v grizzly dust collector.  but with this one its been non stop issues.  I will try and ground the frame too and also the chain to see what happens.  appreciate the input.
(06-01-2024, 11:18 AM)Roly Wrote: Is the frame that the chain attaches to grounded ?  If not ground it and the chain itself and see if that stops it.  Use a tester to see if it is actually grounded.  The static discharge may interfere with the remote control.  Roly

Roly, how do I test it bud?

(06-05-2024, 06:49 PM)Johnny Currado Wrote: Roly, how do I test it bud?

If you have a ohm meter test between a good ground and what you are testing.  Try grounding the chain and the frame temporally to see if that solves the issue.   Can you just run the dust collector by itself and see what happens.   I think the static is affecting the remote control in some way.  Roly
If you plug in just the dust collector by itself without the remote will it continue to run?

(06-05-2024, 08:47 PM)Roly Wrote:  
If you have a ohm meter test between a good ground and what you are testing.  Try grounding the chain and the frame temporally to see if that solves the issue.   Can you just run the dust collector by itself and see what happens.   I think the static is affecting the remote control in some way.  Roly
If you plug in just the dust collector by itself without the remote will it continue to run?

Thanks for your help on this one.  I will try grounding the chain and the frame to see what happens.  I ran my new 3 hp sawstop yesterday connected to the jet dc and the jet dc still shut off and I even went by the chain on the dc to see if any static when both were on and nothing vs my dewalt planer when its connected to the dc its got a lot of static.  I will try to see if I can also just run the dc without the remote to see what happens too and will keep ya posted.
Is the circuit you are using protected by an arc fault circuit breaker?

I had similar problems with those breakers in my shop b
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008

(06-02-2024, 05:58 AM)MGoBlue1984 Wrote: Is the circuit you are using protected by an arc fault circuit breaker?

Hmmm no actually it’s a regular circuit breaker I had installed.
(06-02-2024, 05:58 AM)MGoBlue1984 Wrote: Is the circuit you are using protected by an arc fault circuit breaker?

Hmmm no actually it’s a regular circuit breaker I had installed.
On my dust collector, the hose has a spiral wire in it. 
I attached a jumper wire from the end of the spiral wire to a screw on the dust collector body. 
The static went away.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Static buildup with Jet JCDC 1.5 HP Dust Collector