i have not posted anything in quite a while - although i'm always reading threads. hoping this inspires others to share their photos and get some energy going.
an entryway cabinet - 43" tall - and i think about 15" x 13"

primary cabinet wood is vertical grain doug fir. branches and handles are steamed madrone burl. petals are holly, flower centers afzelia burl. and secondary drawer wood is mahogany.
the drawer front and door were vacuum pressed - the front cross pieces were laminated

veneers were cut using the double bevel method. however the door was too long for me to swing it around on my scroll saw to do the flowers at the far end - notice the branch that goes all the way across - i split the piece there - worked each half - and then taped the 2 pieces together and cut in the branch - which is about 1/2 way and gave me enough room.

appreciate any comments
jc

Very nice work!

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.

That is a terrific piece.  Beautiful proportions and amazing workmanship.  The inlays are stunning, and you have elevated Douglas fir to a level I never could have imagined.  Bravo.  What a great piece to have in your entryway.    

John
Amazing inlay!

Before reading, I thought it was painted

Incredible craftsmanship!

I like the overall design and proportions

Thanks for sharing!
As others have said, beautiful work! It certainly has that timeless mid-modern look and as John mentioned the proportions are just right. The curved front and inlay work put it over the top.

Bravo, and thanks for posting!

Doug
You knocked it out of the park! That's a lovely piece.
Very nice work! Well crafted, and shapes and proportions look great. Ballsy move using Doug fir!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Oh, WOW! That is one fabulous piece....well done!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cannot top anything that has already been said.  Douglus Fir?  Who, in their right mind, thinks of fir when they are going to build a beautiful heirloom, show stopping piece?  You have certainly elevated Douglus Fir.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

So tell us more about the "steamed Madrone".  Does that darken the wood?  Also, are those side panels veneer over plywood?  I just noticed the cross grain near the top, but it all seems to be part of the same panel so that makes me think it's veneer.  

Lots of subtle details in your piece that I didn't notice the first time.  So well done.  

John
new piece