Christian Becksvoort wrote an article in the July/August 2018 edition of Fine Woodworking entitled “Build a Classic Shaker Bench”. This is a 6 foot long bench featuring lots of turned components (31 to be exact) and although I had very limited turning experience I thought this might be just the ticket to earn my turning merit badge: challenge accepted.

The starting point was with the back spindles: this was a strategic decision: I figured if I could not figure out how to make 22 identical spindles that fit perfectly at both ends into their respective mortises, the project was doomed from the start. I had previous, albeit limited experience using my son's pen-turning lathe to make chisel handles and I was fairly comfortable using the roughing and spindle gouges for these projects. I employed a full length tool rest on the lathe and angled it to reflect the straight taper of the spindles. This approach worked well, and using a full length sanding block to dial in the final shape, I was able to produce the required lot of spindles.

[Image: IMG-4101.jpg]

Once I had convinced myself that the turning aspect of this build was not going to be an impediment to success, I turned my attention to the bench seat. Although I could have done a glue-up to create the slab for the 6 foot x 14 inch x 1’5/8” seat, I decided to go with a single piece of cherry so I’d end up with an uninterrupted grain pattern on this critical and very visible part of the piece. I ended up contacting Groff & Groff Lumber in Pennsylvania who were exceptionally accommodating: they sent me photos of multiple slabs that met my size requirements and helped me choose the best one of the bunch. Here is what I ended up with:

[Image: IMG-4129.jpg]

I face jointed and planed this as a single piece and ripped it to width and cut it to length using a track saw. Once I had it trimmed to its rough final dimensions, I began planning for drilling 28 required spindle mortises.

The first required jig: the back spindle mortises were drilled at 15° and were accomplished on the drill press with this jig:

[Image: IMG-4171.jpg]

To ensure that these mortises were drilled square to the seat blank, I used a gauge block to check each setup prior to drilling.

[Image: IMG-4178.jpg]

Once the back spindle mortises were completed, it was on to the leg mortises.

These were compound mortises, with a 1” ID mortise drilled for the leg tenon and a 1-1/2” ID mortise for the OD of the leg.

[Image: IMG-4185.jpg]

Once the all the mortises were drilled, it was time for shaping the seat. The first step was to create a cove toward the back of the seat on the table saw.

[Image: IMG-4189.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4192.jpg]

This was followed by forming the seat ramp with another jig: a router sled.

[Image: IMG-4195.jpg]

This worked well to define the rough shape of the seat. I made the round over profile on the front of the bench (with a humungous 1-1/2" radius round over bit) and chamfered the lower front and side edges. After a considerable effort sanding through the grits, the slab was ready for assembly.

[Image: IMG-4213.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4348.jpg]

The final piece of the puzzle was the back rail. This also required 22 mortises to accept the back spindles and this was accomplished on the drill press with the aid of, you guessed it, another jig.

[Image: IMG-4360.jpg]

The back rail is also tapered from bottom to top on both the face and back and this was accomplished with the planer, and yet another jig.

[Image: IMG-4362.jpg]

Once the the various pieces and parts were final sanded, assembly began. At the suggestion of a chair-maker friend, I used West System Gflex epoxy. It has a very long open time and provides enough flexibility in the joint to withstand the flexing that might be experiences these types of joints.

I started with the undercarriage, and finished with the back rail and spindles.

[Image: IMG-4365.jpg]

Although Mr. Becksvoort chose an ebony finish for his bench I decided to go with a more traditional clear finish (oil/wax) on cherry.
The finish ( which I use almost exclusively ) was OSMO Polyx Hard Wax Oil. Provides a very nice low luster finish and really accentuates the cherry grain.

[Image: IMG-4465.jpg]

And here is the finished product in its assigned spot in the house: just waiting to be sat on.

[Image: IMG-4471.jpg]

We're getting treated to some terrific projects the past couple of days, and yours is another amazing example.  Just beautiful wood and very nice craftsmanship.  I liked how you accomplished each of those critical tasks by taking the time to build an appropriate jig.  The Osmo PolyOx looks great on it, too.  What a fine addition to your home.  

John
Very nice work, enjoyed reading through the process very much. I am always interested it the thought process.

Tom
Well done, as always, Phil. The engineer’s mind at work, too. I was lucky to see it in person throughout the process. Really great work, thanks for sharing with us.

Kevin
Beautiful work and thanks for sharing your techniques and especially the jigs! My father was a machinist by training and trade and said many times that making jigs sometimes took longer than making the actual part.

Those vintage drill presses with the requisite "retirement" lights are a nice touch.
Yes

Doug
Thanks for the build-along.  It certainly gives a different perspective than just seeing the finished piece.  A very inspiring piece and it turned out beautifully.  

Frank S in IA
Beautiful! Very elegant and at the same time simple. Great build.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Very nice and clean.  Quite a work of art.
Thanks for the kind words gents: much appreciated!
Wow. Just caught this. Very nice work indeed.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Christian Becksvoort's Shaker Settee