According to Boris B.
"They may not work, but, I Always have Plan!"

So...
Moose & Squirrel Message Express Ltd dropped this off the other day...
[attachment=52450]
As I need to make 4 of these "Doors"....for the Bathroom's Linen Closet...to replace these.."things"
[attachment=52451]
4 doors....jambs for the hinges are worn out, doors are just framed up plywood panels..with several layers of white paint...that someone else tried to make into bi-fold doors..

The Plan:   Remember, this is just for ONE of the 4 doors...
[attachment=52452]
Each to have 4 raised panels...I happen to have 2 planks, that were sawn from a 10' long board...@ 7/8 x 9-3/4" x 61" long....enough to make the 16 raised panels, and have the grain line up. 

While sifting through the rest of the leftover Ash...decided I needed a Lumber Run...to get some decent looking planks to build the Frames from..so..
[attachment=52453]
I can still use these for any short rails, but
[attachment=52454]
Paid $8 for about 30' of 1 x 6 Ash....As I need to rip stiles from....would be 8 stiles @ 44" lengths, plus 4 center "stiles".  

Need to haul the 1 x 10s to the shop, today...
[attachment=52455]
And rip and crosscut into the 16 Raised Panels...so I can start cutting parts to build the frames around them...frames are to match up with the rest of the Doors details..
[attachment=52456]
And carry those beads around all the raised panels, to boot.

Some be a fun 3 weeks of work?   Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Thanks Bandit!

I am looking forward to you build-along!

-Brian
Vast improvement over the originals already.
Decided to mill the Raised Panels first...then build the Frames around them..so

First try at cutting one of the 5' long 1 x 10s into 2 equal halves..
[attachment=52460]
Laid out a cut line..
[attachment=52461]
Tried a vintage saw..
[attachment=52462]
But between trying to control the saw, and support the 31" long cut-off..was a bit too wavy of a cut...which will not do for trimming the ends..
[attachment=52463]
So..for the next cut...
[attachment=52464]
Clamped the plank to the miter gauge.and ran it through..plus trim the excess 1"

Set up a rip fence, next...found the exact center of those 1 x 10 x 30" planks...and made a rip cut or 2..
[attachment=52465]
Ran the "cut-off" through as well..as the boards are a bit taper...stack the 8 blanks aside, for now..
[attachment=52466]
While I reset the saw, again....30" divided by 2...allowing for the width of the saw blade...
[attachment=52467]
Used the first cut to lay out all the rest..as I needed 16 blanks that are all the same size..
[attachment=52468]
Including a bit of "live edge"....hopefully I can still use it, once these get done being "Raised"

Stay tuned...
Raising a Panel:   IF it is just a panel or two...it is done with a Stanley No. 4 plane....but...16 panels that all have to match each other...and be done in an hour?
[attachment=52469]
Raised the blade as high as it can go..then slap the Zero Clearance Overlay down over the blade....tilt the blade to 15".   Set the rip fence down on the overlay, about ~1/2" from where the blade exits the overlay....start up the saw to see if anything needs adjusted...Ready?
[attachment=52470]
Stand the first blank vertically against the fence, and push the blank through, rotate, do one long edge...rotate, do the other end,..rotate one more time, and do this last long edge...trying to make each pass a single, smooth pass...any stoppages along the way will add burn marks...

Repeat 15 times..
[attachment=52471]
Even the live edge went through...might be able to use it, afterall?

Details?
[attachment=52472]
The strip down the center will get planed smooth, later.  

Have not decided on adding a rebate to the inside of the panels....will depend on the grooves in the Stiles & Rails...

Next up:   Start ripping parts to make those Stiles & Rails...Starting with the 12 Stiles, first?

Stay tuned....
Will be hauling a few of those planks to a friend of mine's Barn...where he keeps a couple Lunch Box Planers.....plan being is to reduce the over 7/8" thicknesses down to ~3/4" thick...as some of the planks are just over 1" thick!...all are still rough sawn, anyway....goal being, to have all the frame parts the same thickness, as it makes joinery so much easier...

Need to load up the Chevy Equinox after a bit...drive about 16 miles each way..and then un-load the car.  haul a few planks to the shop

Corner joints:   matching up 2-3/4" wide stiles to 5" wide rails...and still use a mitered half lap?   Doubtful a simple 45 degree cut will be of any use...we'll see..

Raised Panels:  they will be getting a rebate around all 4 edges, on the non beveled face...just enough to fit into the 3/8" deep grooves.  

Stay tuned....
Plan: Page #2.....corner joint details...
[attachment=52477]
To make sure the Bead details turn the corner as well.   A Stanley No. 45's #23 Bead cutter will be used...

Beads run first..
Mitered Half laps done, next

Then a groove is run for the raised panels to sit in....grooves will get stopped at the start of the miter joints, and not run all the way through...

Waiting on a page #3..for where the center Stile & Rail meets up with the outside frame, and ..each other...

Might be a busy week?   Cardio Doctor visit Thursday might slow things down a bit....( 6 month check up)

Stay tuned...
4  Stiles were milled up, last night...then all 4 were clamped up to try to keep them flat..
[attachment=52478]
As for the rest of the "Lumber Supply"?
[attachment=52479]
The "Thinnest" is just over 7/8" thick!   Intend to haul the lot of these to a Friend's Barn..where he has a Lunch Box Planer..and, I will return with all of these  Planks slimmed down to 3/4" thickness...

Page #2 of The Plan showed up, this morning..
[attachment=52480]
Details for how the outside Stiles will meet up to the top and bottom Rails....corner joint.

Mill the parts to length and width
Mill a bead detail on both edges of the Show face....Stanley No. 45, with a #23 Bead cutter

Mill the Half Lap Miter joint.....will not be a true 45 degree cut..

Set up the Router Table to mill a Stopped Groove to house the raised panels in...stop before I reach the lap joints, as I do not want the groove to show through on the ends

Awaiting Page #3....showing how the center Stile  meets the center Rail....and how both will meet the outside frame... while matching up all them beads...

Stay tuned...might be a busy week?
Road Trip completed...10 boards have been planed down to exactly 3/4" thick....1/16" at a time...right thigh is sore, now, from pushing the boards through the Delta 12" planer....and, some of the planks were thicker on one end, than the other end...

I think that will be enough work for one day....I am plum tuckered out...

No knots were harmed during this operation...Friend will bag up the shavings, and use them to start his wood burning heater in the house.

I might see IF Page #3 is done, yet...

Stay tuned..
Try pushing some 18x2 boards through a PM209, especially the first pass.

Wax the tables
VH07V  
"we have a Plan"